Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives, Yorkshire Chess

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Ingrid Ives

Re: Ronald (Ronnie) Wilson Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:46 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:26 pm
Ingrid Ives wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:04 pm
Unknown location and date.
Maybe Bognor Regis? They played at a congress in Bognor Regis but I don't know when.
Hi again Ingrid,

That's definitely the Oldway Mansion, Paignton. I'd know that door anywhere! Part of the magic of the Paignton tournament was that it was always played in the same room, from its inception in 1951 onwards. Hence, the quirky title of the book written in 2010 about the Paignton Congress by Bob Jones - 60 Years in the Same Room. Your parents first took part in the Paignton tournament in 1953 so it's probably then.
Thanks John, that all makes sense. I have to say that you're a mine of useful information!

I think I've posted my whole photo collection now but there are a lot more 'Chess Club' press cuttings to come, so perhaps some of them will yield further information regarding the games you're looking for from that period. When I've retrieved them, I'll post them here but it might be in a few weeks' time. Meanwhile, I'm going back on detective duty to see if I can find any more information on the identities of the Wakefield team holding the Woodhouse (tbc) Cup. All in a day's work as a newbie poster!

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:58 pm

Peter Shaw wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:32 pm
I'm pretty sure the other player in the Buxton photos is Tony Midgley, who was Derek Paffley's cousin. I don't think he's in the Woodhouse photo as he always played for Huddersfield as far as I know. He was still active in the 90's when I started playing, I played him a couple of times.

http://www.geoffpeake.co.uk/AbsentF/Tony.htm

I think you are right about the 'Moving with the Times' photo, alas the piece doesn't say who he is!
I think we can narrow down the identity of the chap in the front row RHS to one of the following: G. W. Moses of Hemsworth, O H Hardy of Batley or J G Brogden of Wakefield. I say this because we've agreed that it's the same person as the one in your 'Moving with the Times' article and we know from both your and my articles on that telephone chess that there were six people present from the Wakefield Club. Three of them are people we know, i.e. my father, Alex Schofield and Derek Paffley. The chap on the photo looks quite a bit older than the others so that should narrow it down if there's a means of finding out how old those three gentleman were.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:18 pm

Ingrid Ives wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:58 pm
Peter Shaw wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:32 pm
I'm pretty sure the other player in the Buxton photos is Tony Midgley, who was Derek Paffley's cousin. I don't think he's in the Woodhouse photo as he always played for Huddersfield as far as I know. He was still active in the 90's when I started playing, I played him a couple of times.

http://www.geoffpeake.co.uk/AbsentF/Tony.htm

I think you are right about the 'Moving with the Times' photo, alas the piece doesn't say who he is!
I think we can narrow down the identity of the chap in the front row RHS to one of the following: G. W. Moses of Hemsworth, O H Hardy of Batley or J G Brogden of Wakefield. I say this because we've agreed that it's the same person as the one in your 'Moving with the Times' article and we know from both your and my articles on that telephone chess that there were six people present from the Wakefield Club. Three of them are people we know, i.e. my father, Alex Schofield and Derek Paffley. The chap on the photo looks quite a bit older than the others so that should narrow it down if there's a means of finding out how old those three gentleman were.

I would also say, with a high degree of certainty, that the chap in the cup photo third from the right on the back row, next to my father, is Mr T Dodd who is pictured in your Observer newspaper cutting dated 04/10/47.

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:45 pm

I think it's likely that 10 of the players are those playing in the report of the final match. Five of them are listed on Steve Mann's history site which has the players ages. So I suspect the player in the bottom right is George Moses.

Derek Paffley 1925-1958
George W Moses 1888-1971
JG Brogden
Edward Gooder 1904-1996
E Williams
Alex Schofield 1901-1976
WS Stead
Ronald W Ives 1923-1964
Terry Proctor
E Buckalder

JG Brogden is probably this chap, I have been unable to locate any photos of him, but someone may remember him. Apparently he was shown on a video here but the link is no longer working.

I agree about Mr Dodd which would make him the 11th player. I remember playing Otto Hardy once in the 90's and I don't think he is on the photo, he started playing for Wakefield a few years later.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:55 pm

Interesting, Peter.

Do you think we have enough evidence that the photo is of the winning team then?

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:02 pm

Yes:

George Wyville Moses 1888-1971 (as above)

Otto Henry Hardy 1927-2010 (played in Leicester for many years)

John G Brogden probably born 1933 in Liverpool: moved to London in the mid 1960s, playing for Wimbledon up to about 1970. He played in the Hammersmith congress in 1970, as did I, but I don't remember him.

And many thanks to Ingrid for starting such a wonderful thread.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:02 pm

There was a John G Brogden who played for Yeovil in the 1990s; would that be the same player?

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:14 pm

Ingrid Ives wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:55 pm
Interesting, Peter.

Do you think we have enough evidence that the photo is of the winning team then?
Yes I am 99.9% certain now.

I think that E.Buckalder who is in the 'After 63 years report' is the player in the top right.

Sounds like there may be more than one JG Brogden, I don't think anyone in that photo could have been born in 1933. He wasn't around Wakefield Chess club for very long. I can't find any mention of him before 1950 or after 1954.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:38 pm

Peter Shaw wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:14 pm
Ingrid Ives wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:55 pm
Interesting, Peter.

Yes I am 99.9% certain now.

I think that E.Buckalder who is in the 'After 63 years report' is the player in the top right.

Sounds like there may be more than one JG Brogden, I don't think anyone in that photo could have been born in 1933. He wasn't around Wakefield Chess club for very long. I can't find any mention of him before 1950 or after 1954.
Funny you should say that re E. Buckalder because I also thought so. The hairline is very similar, and his age. I just wasn't confident enough about my supposition to post that.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:45 pm

Richard James wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:02 pm

And many thanks to Ingrid for starting such a wonderful thread.
You're welcome, Richard. I'm glad I did. It's interesting for me too.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:52 pm

Richard James wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:02 pm
He played in the Hammersmith congress in 1970, as did I, but I don't remember him.
He (JG Brogden) was playing county chess on a high board for Surrey in the 1970s when I played him twice in 1973-74 and 1975-76

He can be found in most SCCU Bulletins of the period, for example
https://sccu-chess.com/bulletins/SCCUBu ... 74_100.pdf

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:10 pm

JG Brogden appears in the 1954 and 1955 grading lists for Wakefield with a grade of 4b. Then he disappears until 1959 when he reappears for Wimbledon with a grade of 4a. He is still under Wimbledon in 1974 with a grade of 194. It has to be the same person.

He was the top scorer with 8.5/9 in the 1950/51 season, had he been 17 at the time I think the minutes would have mentioned that. On the other hand it appears the John Gordon Brogden who was born in Liverpool in 1933 died in Somerset in 2019 which makes sense with the Yeovil connection, since that player was also strong with a grade of over 160 in the 1990's.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:07 pm

I think this might be Mr Buckalder sitting next to Alex Schofield and opposite my father. The photo is marked 'Leeds University Chess Congress 1955'. The chap opposite Alex Schofield might be the player we now think is Mr Moses?

But then why would they all be playing each other if they're on the same side....?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:44 pm

Ingrid Ives wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:07 pm
The photo is marked 'Leeds University Chess Congress 1955'.

But then why would they all be playing each other if they're on the same side....?
An event described just as a Congress would most likely have been an individual event, not a team event.

A team event would probably have the word "Team" or "Club" or similar in its title.

Ingrid Ives

Post by Ingrid Ives » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:48 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:44 pm
Ingrid Ives wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:07 pm
The photo is marked 'Leeds University Chess Congress 1955'.

An event described just as a Congress would most likely have been an individual event, not a team event.

A team event would probably have the word "Team" or "Club" or similar in its title.
Thanks Ian.