Chess Cuttings

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Neil Graham

Chess Cuttings

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:43 pm

I have been forced to have my study/spare bedroom decorated. Boxes of chess related stuff plus compact discs, maps etc. etc. have been moved elsewhere and I am now in the process of moving everything back and throwing things away. I'll be putting unused bulletins/books for sale in due course.

However I have found a folder (not mine) with a selection of chess newspaper cuttings from 1971 from Leonard Barden's Guardian columns - these include Fischer's progress through the Candidates matches amongst other reports.

Of possibly equal interest are the reports/ads on the rear of the cuttings - fancy dinner, bed & breakfast at a fashionable London hotel with a theatre ticket thrown in - yours for a mere £12/10/0 per person. Like to be a Social Worker - salary starting at £1,348.00 per annum? Revel in the report of the 3-3 draw between Manchester City and Manchester United where the reporter was impressed with 17 year old newcomer Sammy McIlroy.

Anyone interested get in touch and I'll mail these to you.

John Upham

Re: Chess Cuttings

Post by John Upham » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:08 pm

Would it be possible to decorate using the cuttings in a kind of collage style approach?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D