Baruch Harold Wood

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John McKenna

Re: Baruch Harold Wood

Post by John McKenna » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 am

Don't know CC personally but my brother once drew an excellent CC game against him in days BC (before computers). It was a Spanish I recall. CC is still active otb and is one of those Kent men who cross the border to play some games in Surrey. Also been seen at the Kent Open at Ramsgate in recent years if you are seekin a rematch.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi John.

By coincidence I had to take 'Lola vs. Powerman ' into work last week to win a small bet.

As is well known (except by one guy at my work) Ray Davies had to change the opening
verse from Coco-Cola to Cherry Cola because Coco-Cola did not want their name added to
a song about tranvestite or the BBC did not do advertsing. (take your pick)

But on 'Lola vs. Powerman ' the original Coco Cola was left in.

Davies had to do a re-dub again on following single 'Apeman'

The verse "the air pollution is mucking up my eyes" comes out as something else.
He changed it on the single but again on the LP version he does not appear to be singing 'mucking'.

Caught Ray live in Edinburgh a few years ago. Brilliant.
At the end went right up to the stage and asked him for his plectrum.

It is a treasured possesion No.2

Treasured possesion No.1 is the bits I was given in a plastic bag after I became a girl in 1975.
Fashions come and go and come back again. This sex change fad comes around every 25 years.

Stephen Saunders

Post by Stephen Saunders » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:17 pm

John McKenna wrote:Don't know CC personally but my brother once drew an excellent CC game against him in days BC (before computers). It was a Spanish I recall. CC is still active otb and is one of those Kent men who cross the border to play some games in Surrey. Also been seen at the Kent Open at Ramsgate in recent years if you are seekin a rematch.
Thanks for the info. Not looking for a rematch (very Spassky-Fischer after 20 years lol) but good to hear he is still going strong. He impressed me as a more gracious winner than the average London/Middlesex Leaguer.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Cliff may also be a gracious loser, Stephen. However, I suspect he doesn't lose all that often.

Great story about the Kinks album, Geoff.
You could have asked Ray to bequeath you his sternum (for your treasured-bits bag).

Oh save me , save me, save me from this squeeze
I got a big fat (gov'ment) trying to break me...