Eldorous Dayton

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Gerard Killoran

Eldorous Dayton

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Looking through an old volume of 'Chess' I found what seems to be a correspondence game by F. St. J. Steadman (see previous post) when he was just one of a thousand playing for England against the U.S.A. The match had to be abandoned with the outbreak of WW2, but deserves to be better known. Has anyone got more information on it?

Steadman's opponent was the wonderfully named Eldorous Lyons Dayton, chess columnist for the New York publications the Mount Vernon Daily Argus and New Rochelle Standard Star. He also wrote poetry and political biographies - his subjects included Harry Truman and Hitler.

Eldorous had an eye for a nice finish...

Tim Harding

Re: Eldorous Dayton

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:49 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:Looking through an old volume of 'Chess' I found what seems to be a correspondence game by F. St. J. Steadman (see previous post) when he was just one of a thousand playing for England against the U.S.A. The match had to be abandoned with the outbreak of WW2, but deserves to be better known. Has anyone got more information on it?
I did find out a bit about this match when researching my "Correspondence Chess in Britain and Ireland, 1824-1987." See pages 240-242. There I reprinted the top 19 board pairings, which had appeared in "Chess". The match was planned in 1935, began in January 1936 and abandoned in 1941 or 1942. Thanks for making that game available.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com