Archive film featuring chess

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Saunders

Re: Archive film featuring chess

Post by John Saunders » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:57 pm

This clip is from Hastings 1967/68 and shows Ray Keene playing an informal game with 1967 world junior champion Julio Kaplan. The elderly bespectacled gent with the cigarette hanging from his lips is Wilfred Evans, a veteran (and strong) Bucks county player. Roger de Coverly will also remember him as we all played for the same county team in the late 1960s. Nothing particularly mysterious about Ray's ubiquity in film clips of the mid-1960s as he played a lot at that time and would no doubt have been identified to film-makers and photographers as one of the country's leading young players.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:55 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:And Jeremy Beadle did me the great honour of treading on my foot as he walked past in the bar.
Clement Freud barged me out of the way once at an Islington congress in the early 70s. These celebs can be right pains when they're not having to look good for the cameras!
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:24 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: *"6 year old Jutta Hempel is chess prodigy. Flensburg, Germany"
Interesting contribution about her from our own Mr Barden in the latest (Ed Winter) Chess Notes.

Was she a "fraud" all along, and has this been true of certain other "progidies" - especially ones who later vanished without trace?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)