BUCA Team Championship Winners

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Alex Holowczak

Re: BUCA Team Championship Winners

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Much of the information has been added to here: http://www.buca.org.uk/winners/buca-cha ... ip-winners

I'm going to create pages for each tournament linked from the year, with the rest of the information that people have supplied here. Just not today. Two hours with tables on websites is enough for anyone. :(

Roger Mylward

Re: BUCA Team Championship Winners - Swansea 1968

Post by Roger Mylward » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:17 pm

I was the organiser for this event which attracted 29 teams. Attached is a Word document setting out the board order for each of the teams.

The team event consisted of two preliminary rounds with teams graded into four groups, one with eight teams and the three others with seven teams each. The top two teams in each group qualified for the top Final Section of eight teams; the remaining teams were placed in three subsidiary sections, two of eight teams and one of four. Two further rounds were played to determine the final standings. The reason that only 28 teams played in the final two rounds is set out below.

The Board order for each team is given as for the first final round, and in some cases varied from round to round. The exceptions to this are Cambridge II and Oxford III.
Because of the large number of defaulted players, Cambridge II and Oxford III merged in the final two rounds to form Oxbridge II1/2 – perhaps the only time in the BUCA history that a merged team has taken part. The players listed for Cambridge II and Oxford III are those that played in the qualifying rounds.

The details are taken from the Tournament book which I produced after the event. This contains 636 games, 180 of which are from the Individual Championship (won jointly by J Carleton (Liverpool) and G Chesters (Swansea) with 71/2 out of 9; 40 competitors took part) and 446 from the Team Event. This was, as far as I know, the only BUCA event to have such a book produced.

Hope this is useful - apologies for any typos or mistakes in names or initials.

Roger Mylward
Attachments
BUCA Congress 1968 Team Lists 11-09-2011.doc
(108 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:44 pm

This information is fantastic! Many thanks for going to the effort of compiling it! I don't suppose there are any spare copies of this book still available? It would be great to put those games online; even if it does take an age for me to get around to doing 636 of them...

Aside from the obvious names here like Keene and Hartston, there are many names that I've come across in congresses.

Is the "Welch, D" on board 8 the David Welch who is the current co-Manager for the British Championship? Didn't expect to see him in such an illustrious Cambridge team!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:44 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: Is the "Welch, D" on board 8 the David Welch who is the current co-Manager for the British Championship? Didn't expect to see him in such an illustrious Cambridge team!
He's not a weak player by any means - current ECF grade 155.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:19 am

Is East Anglia UEA?
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Roger Mylward

Post by Roger Mylward » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:46 am

Yes, it is the University of East Anglia based in Norwich.

Roger Mylward

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:42 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: Is the "Welch, D" on board 8 the David Welch who is the current co-Manager for the British Championship? Didn't expect to see him in such an illustrious Cambridge team!
Oh, I know he's not a weak player. I mean that I didn't realise he went to Cambridge!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:11 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Oh, I know he's not a weak player. I mean that I didn't realise he went to Cambridge!
David Welch and I were both educated at Queens' College, Cambridge, about 8 years apart. Subsequently we knew each other for almost 20 years without either of us being aware of this. Then, quite by chance, it was brought to my attention by a third party at the Isle of Man Congress 2009.

Roger Mylward

Post by Roger Mylward » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:23 am

Apologies for previous post which lost the original formatting.

I thought that it might be useful to have the final positions of each team in the 1968 Swansea event.

The scores from the preliminary rounds were not carried forward so the maximum score for any team was 16 points.

1. Oxford I 13.0
2. Glasgow 10.5
3. London I 10.0
4. Manchester I 8.5
5. Cambridge I 8.0
6. Wales I 7.0
7= London II 3.0
Oxford II 3.0

FINAL SECTION II
1= Leeds 10.5
Sussex 10.5
3. Sheffield 10.0
4. Reading 8.0
5. Liverpool 7.5
6. Southampton 7.0
7. Birmingham 6.0
8. Edinburgh 4.5

FINAL SECTION III
1. East Anglia 10.5
2. Exeter 9.5
3. London III 9.0
4. Oxbridge II1/2 8.5
5. Bristol 8.0
6. Nottingham 6.5
7. Leicester 6.5
8. Durham 5.5

FINAL SECTION IV
1. Manchester II 9.0
2= Newcastle 8.0
Wales II 8.0
4. Dundee 7.0

Roger Mylward

Re: BUCA Team Championship Winners - Swansea 1968 Book

Post by Roger Mylward » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:23 am

This book of 114 pages was produced using the most advanced technology available to a post-graduate student at the time - two-finger typed using an old-fashioned stand-up and hit-me typewriter on Banda foolscap stencils, corrections using red fluid and then run off on a hand-cranked ink printer counting the sheets as they emerged. Great fun! I think that the print run was 100 - I remember collating and stapling copies by hand late at night in a chemistry laboratory - and that I charged 5 shillings (25p) including postage. However, all the copies sold.

The copy that I have shows signs of age and the staples have disappeared.

The games are also in descriptive notation. I have promised myself that now I have retired I would have a go at producing an electronic file of these games at some time, but they would need to be played through to make sure they were accurate - having said that I do not recall any yells of anguish from students that their games had been wrongly recorded.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:46 pm

A very useful and interesting document. Can I suggest one likely correction to a typo? Board 7 for Manchester 1 was almost certainly "O'Dell, J" rather than "O'Dell, H". JE (Jim) O'Dell was a team-mate of mine at two different clubs over many years and was at Manchester University at that time.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Roger Mylward

Post by Roger Mylward » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks for noting the mistake - J O'Dell it is in the tournament book - Manchester I was team H in the final two rounds and I probably got confused when typing the list - a senior moment.

I will wait a couple of days to see whether any other errors are found and then resubmit the amended file.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:27 am

Colin Patterson wrote:More snippets from CHESS in the 1980s (will check out the rest when I get a chance);

1985 – 22 teams. Cambridge did not compete. Oxford 31.5/36, Southampton 25.5, Swansea, Durham 20, QU Belfast, Warwick, Sussex 19.5, London, Lancaster 19, Swansea II 18.5, Birmingham, Hull, Southampton II 18, Manchester, York 17.5 …
Board prizes – 1. B Lund Lancaster 6/6, 2. K Bowden Oxford, K Allen QU Belfast both 6/6, 3. T Wiley Oxford 5.5/6, 4. R Thomas Southampton, I Kotsikoros Manchester both 5/6, 5. P Hallett Oxford 5.5/6, 6. H Fair Swansea 5/6.
I believe this was held in Cardiff. From my failing memory this was the tournament where Brett was lucky not only escaping without playing the Oxford board one, but also from a Chinese restaurant owner wielding a meat cleaver. Student days :)

Roger Mylward

Post by Roger Mylward » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Apologies first of all for the long delay in adding to my previous contributions.

I attach two files.

The first is the corrected players file promised in September!

The second is a pgn file containing the 180 games played in the BUCA Individual Championship played at Swansea 1968. This is my very first attempt at a pgn file and there may well be errors in it - nay comments welcome.

At some time in the future I will try to generate a pgn file for the Team Event.

Roger Mylward
Attachments
BUCA 1968 Congress Individual Championship.pgn
(102.73 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
BUCA Congress 1968 Team Lists 11-09-2011.doc
(106 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Many thanks for these. The PGN file works perfectly! A PGN file for the team event would be equally welcome.

I really must get around to adding these to the website!*

Again, many thanks!

*I really must appoint a webmaster who can add these things to the website...