Surrey Chess Congress in the 1970s

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Surrey Chess Congress in the 1970s

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:22 am

I think Mr Bernfield (a wonderful character) spelt his first name Abram.

GH Davies is Gordon as he was playing for Redhill at the time. I can check his grade later to confirm.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:30 am

Reg Clucas wrote:I can offer only a tiny snippet - I was in the same club (Metropolitan) as 'Amin' in the 1975 list. His first initial was 'A'. I think it stood for Ali, but not 100% sure.

I have happy memories of that congress as it was the first one in which I won a prize, albeit in the Minor section.
If it's the guy who ran that chess café in north London it is Ali

Shallcross is Doug

PB

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:30 am

I doubt the grading reference for GH Davies is right - he was about 175 in 1976.

Is it Huw C Morcom, now in Wales?

I know H Erdogan did change his name from something, but I'm not sure it was what was suggested earlier. (But that is only a vague memory).
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:53 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I doubt the grading reference for GH Davies is right - he was about 175 in 1976.
The 1976 Surrey was in the summer, so the grades quoted would be those from the August 1975 list.

I came across my copy of the 1976 results bulletin a while back, which I imagine is what Paul is working from. Something I had totally forgotten was that games were subject to adjudication, as the bulletin remarks that in the first two rounds, there hadn't been any. That was the change over period, for Congresses anyway, of the move to quick-play finishes, where the extra time was added and the game completed in the time remaining after Black made the time control. The short-lived "ten-minute" rule was a step in that direction.By the wording of his comments, the author of the Surrey bulletin evidently preferred adjudication to the notion of playing a ten minute game from the "final" position for a game unfinished at the end of the playing session.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I doubt the grading reference for GH Davies is right - he was about 175 in 1976.
... I know H Erdogan did change his name from something, but I'm not sure it was what was suggested earlier. (But that is only a vague memory).
Gordon H. Davies (probably the same person) is an ICCF senior international master.

Jo A. Wharrier has also been very active in correspondence chess; his first name is probably short for Jonathon (or the more usual Jonathan) but "Jo" seems to be what he goes by, though I don't know him personally.

I played Sams in a tournament in 1973; he then used three initials: R. J. F.

At the time of the 1975 Surrey congress H. Hakki [that “Hakan” may be wrong] was a pupil at Catford Grammar School (in Kent) where I taught chess for a few terms in 1973-75. I would guess he was born some time between 1958 and 1961. He was one of two pupils there who played club and tournament chess.
In 1975 or maybe 1976 he started going by the name of H. Erdogan. It's a long time
ago now, so the following is not certain.
I think his family (which must have been of Turkish or Turkish Cypriot origin) had looked at some old documents (maybe a birth certificate of the original immigrant) and discovered that what they had thought was a surname (i.e. Hakki) was actually a forename, and vice versa, so that Erdogan was in fact the correct family name.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Was Mr. Amin involved in organising the London 1987 'Chess for Peace' tournament in some capacity?

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Michael Ashley Pagden, acc. Gaige's Varsity Match booklet and the 'Michael' is confirmed by BMD. FIDE probably have some duff info.

Richard John Fairfax Sams, acc. Gaige again, 'Richard' confirmed by BMD. This page about his musical, showbiz brother Jeremy, mentions him, as does this one about his father Eric.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:11 pm

John McKenna wrote:Was Mr. Amin involved in organising the London 1987 'Chess for Peace' tournament in some capacity?
There is a Mohammed Amin, I believe, who was involved with work with the BCF and later became a Conservative politician in the North of England. Perhaps it was him?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
John McKenna wrote:Was Mr. Amin involved in organising the London 1987 'Chess for Peace' tournament in some capacity?
There is a Mohammed Amin, I believe, who was involved with work with the BCF and later became a Conservative politician in the North of England. Perhaps it was him?
He is currently the ECF delegate of Greater Manchester, I believe.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:19 pm

The grading references are from the 1994-2012 grading database, and an odd grading list I have from 1988.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Paul, I'm very surprised you write thus since Bob was involved with Ali Amin, see the text below which is an extract from a scurrilous but well-informed article which can be found online at chesscity.com

The players have behaved like perfect communist gentlemen. Not so the London Chess Establishment. Ali Amin, owner of the mediocre and overpriced Chequers Caff, was apoplectic at being left off the organising committee. Not surprising really, since he cancels almost as many events as he stages, and his well-known unreliability would be no asset when it comes to raising sponsorship. The Shriekh has chosen to create a vehicle for his diatribes called Zugswang, and this is distributed at the match free of charge each day. It contains personals attacks on various persons connected with the match, particularly David Goodman, editor of the rival Newsflash, a weekly journal with much higher production values and much more accurate content. Bob Wade , doyen of British Chess, has been soiling his reputation by providing Zugswang with high-quality chess content. No-one knows what spell Mr. Amin (no relation, except in personality) has cast upon him.

As regards the final sentence, Ali Amin paid very well (I believe the funds came from his girlfriend).

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks Leonard, I didn't know about this. tbh I don't scour the chess internet for references to RGW, they are usually very dubious. Can you tell me what really happened, you would be a more reliable source. Also does anyone have any copies of this "Zugszwang"? I had never heard of it. I would quite like to see what Bob wrote.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Thanks Leonard, I didn't know about this. tbh I don't scour the chess internet for references to RGW, they are usually very dubious. Can you tell me what really happened, you would be a more reliable source. Also does anyone have any copies of this "Zugszwang"? I had never heard of it. I would quite like to see what Bob wrote.
I was only on the periphery of these events. You would do better to ask Roger Lancaster, who was involved with Zugszwang and is still grading-listed as an active player for Watford.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks, Leonard. BCM 1987, pp. 472-473 doesn't mention RGW in connection with the tournament. I'll check Chess later. His name appears to be spelled "Aly" in BCM.

btw. Leonard can you give me a URL for this web reference?

I found something written by Tryfon Gavriel at http://letsplaychess.co.uk/chessclubs/f ... agesize=10, but it doesn't mention RGW.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Thanks, Leonard. BCM 1987, pp. 472-473 doesn't mention RGW in connection with the tournament. I'll check Chess later. His name appears to be spelled "Aly" in BCM. btw. Leonard can you give me a URL for this web reference?
Aly/Ali, sources differ. Just google chess city Ali Amin for the article.