Surrey Chess Congress in the 1970s

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Surrey Chess Congress in the 1970s

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:34 pm

John Foley wrote:What I find most extraordinary about the name list from the 1970s is that the same names continue to appear today both playing and organising. Once this particular generation of chess players turn over their king for the last time, chess will face an unprecedented crisis.
There are several reasons for this.

The 1970s was a time of boom, so not only did the game become flooded with new players, it became flooded with new administrators. These were naturally the keenest of the 1970s bunch, and so they're still around today.

I think there's hardly any emphasis on finding volunteers for these things who are relatively young. However, take the 4NCL game-inputting team. Two of the regular inputters are under 20, and I'm only 21. This doesn't include Jack Rudd and Matthew Carr either, who aren't exactly going to be drawing their pensions any time soon. I'm not going to be at the 4NCL for most of the Saturday at the upcoming 4NCL weekend, and I'm confident if I left one of the under 20s to co-ordinate the effort, the job would still get done.

I think the 1970s generation of organisers haven't been universally great. Indeed, they've caused enough crises in their time (see GM v Lancs, Yorkshire, Surrey v CCF etc.). So if by "unprecedented crisis", you mean "Can last 5 years without threatening disaffiliation, legal action, and rows that last a lifetime", then I for one will look forward to it!

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: and I'm confident if I left one of the under 20s to co-ordinate the effort, the job would still get done.
I assume that by this you mean the U-20 that isn't me :D
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Can anyone give first names or confirm for the following:

P ALLEN (Sutton)
M J LESTER (Steatham) Richard James has suggested Malcolm
B TURNER (Letchworth & B)
A KEENE (Streatham)
K KING (Streatham)
J F LOBLEY (Hendon)
D BRYDON (Basingstoke*)
G RIVERS (Worthing)
P A BANCROFT (City of London School) just found it's Paul - from 1974 London Under 16s
P COUPER (Wimbledon)
P KELEN (Hendon)
M DAVIS (Streatham)
A W BINKS (London NW3*)
C R BROWN (Doncaster*)
I M RAINDLE (Glyn Grammer School) Richard James suggested Ian
T PRUCHNICKI (Polish YMCA)
M J COOGAN (Hammersmith)
P F BROWN (Streatham)
C P LINES (Streatham)
C GARWOOD (Watford) perhaps Colin from 1982 London Under 21s
I C HAYES (Greenford)
R J JACOBS (Sevenoaks) Richard James suggested Robert - yes Robert, from 1974 London Under 12s
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Graeme (not sure of the spelling tho') Rivers - played him once at an Enfield congress in the mid-70s, then saw his full name mentioned in passing in Chess some time later.

A Keene: I've a faint but persistent memory that Ray Keene's sister also played a bit of chess, and was named Annette (confusingly, so is his wife). She married David Levy, but despite checking numerous web references, I can't find any that give her first name. I note that your A Keene is from Streatham, which area was also Ray's base for a time, IIRC.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Jackie Keene from memory, spelling not guaranteed.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:14 pm

On the 1976 list it should be Pritpal Thethi not Priptal

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:01 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Jackie Keene from memory, spelling not guaranteed.
You're right, Roger - the old memory cells finally kicked in just now, but you beat me to it.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:07 am

Jackie Keene, now Dr Eales.

P Thethi. Withdrew after 6 or so rounds Portsmouth U18s of 1976; told nobody. So he was paired and several players played his moves as his opponent sat facing an empty chair. This went on for 2 or 3 rounds before somebody had the decency to report it! :lol:

well, it was a longtime ago...

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 am

David Brydon

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 am

Graham Rivers according to Worthing chess club website

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:50 am

James Coleman wrote:On the 1976 list it should be Pritpal Thethi not Priptal
Thanks James, you're obviously right - the grading database shows that now, well spotted. I got his spelling from my own database which is compiled from the electronic copies of the official grading list each year (specifically 1997/98).

Is this his facebook page ?
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:50 am

M J Lester is definitely Malcolm Lester and K King must be Keith King.
I'll ask some long-term Streathamites if they know of the other Streatham players...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 am

Paul Dupré wrote: A KEENE (Streatham)
School connections introduced me to a number of ex Leeds University players, There was a Keene amongst them, but I cannot recall the "A".

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:10 am

Angus French wrote:M J Lester is definitely Malcolm Lester and K King must be Keith King.
I'll ask some long-term Streathamites if they know of the other Streatham players...
Thanks Angus - I was hoping a Streatham guy would turn up at some point.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:19 am

Paul Dupré wrote:Can anyone give first names or confirm for the following:
I believe Richard James is correct about Malcolm Lester.

M DAVIS (Streatham): will be the player we knew as "Mick" Davis, so it is probably Michael, but Nigel Povah (who is on Facebook), or another older S & B member, might be able to verify that.

T PRUCHNICKI (Polish YMCA): can't recall his first name but thanks for bringing it up because I have, for some reason, a very clear image in my mind of this rather picturesque character!
Last edited by George Szaszvari on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.