Bob Wade and Middlesex

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Paul McKeown

Bob Wade and Middlesex

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:49 pm

In honour of Middlesex's first win in the County Championships since 1989, I thought it might be nice to give a preview of the chapter in my biography of Bob Wade concerning his play for Middlesex. Additions that I foresee in this chapter concern his work with junior chess in the county and an indication of some minor administrative roles he carried out for the county.
Attachments
Middlesex.pdf
Chapter 14. Bob Wade and Middlesex
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 235 times

Krishna Shiatis

Re: Bob Wade and Middlesex

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi Paul,

Wow, I thought that Bob had always been a part of Kent. It is wonderful to read this detailed account of his chess background in Middlesex.

I only knew him for a very short time and used to seek him out at any of The Kent Junior GPs that we went to. I remember the first time I met him was at a training day at Amherst School and he was sitting in the library area all by himself. I did not know anything about him or his name and began chatting to him (as I do with most people). Within five minutes I realised that he was a very special man. He talked about working with Bobby Fischer and Viktor Korchnoi. He seemed to know everyone in the chess world and yet he was very humble about it all.

He always went through Rohan's games after tournaments. He did not suffer fools gladly by that time and was very direct when a bad move was played. It was great to see that like Viktor Korchnoi, he was still very sharp as he got older. Unlike Viktor, he was much easier to converse with.

Anyhow, good luck with your book,

Kind regards, Krishna

PS we miss him lots!

John Townsend

Re: Bob Wade and Middlesex

Post by John Townsend » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Admirable level of detail! The illustrations seem excellent too. I look forward to seeing the complete work. Who will be publishing it?

With best wishes,

John Townsend,
Author of Notes on the Life of Howard Staunton
http://www.johntownsend.demon.co.uk/ind ... age324.htm