Judit Polgar and Bobby Fischer

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Andrew Zigmond

Judit Polgar and Bobby Fischer

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:51 am

The latest issue of Chess magazine has a lengthy piece of Judit Polgar's new book. My attention was caught by a photograph of her with Bobby Fischer with the caption, `The first time I met Bobby Fischer - after his rematch with Spassky in 1992`.

If memory serves, in the controversial press conferences of that match Fischer declared himself a bit sceptical about Judit Polgar's talent. It was also around the time he played his only known game against a woman, a friendly with Cathy Forbes.

I've probably missed something along the way but does anybody know anything more about the Polgar/ Fischer relationship? Is it possible they played a game?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

A Goodall

Re: Judit Polgar and Bobby Fischer

Post by A Goodall » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Judit answered some questions on the Quality Chess Blog

Andy : Judit,
What did you learn from your meetings with Bobby Fischer? And what were the most memorable moments with him?
All the best
Andy

I will recall my memories and tell about it in volume 2:)!

So something to look forward to. I think they probably did play, at a minimum some blitz games

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Judit Polgar and Bobby Fischer

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:09 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:It was also around the time he played his only known game against a woman, a friendly with Cathy Forbes
To be strictly accurate, this is his only *recorded* game against a woman - IIRC the Polgars confirmed he did play some friendly games with them.

BTW, Fischer-Forbes was played in the mid-match "interval" during the change of venues - so it is not his "last ever known game" as some have claimed.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)