Kensington Olympia

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
James Pratt

Kensington Olympia

Post by James Pratt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:27 pm

BCM is writing about chess at Olympia at the School Boys and Girls Exhibition, now long buried.

Who can help us with memories? We have a photo of the 1958 Primary Schools Champ, one Roger Taylor. Did you know him?

James Pratt
www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Kensington Olympia

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:10 pm

There are two Roger Taylors listed in the ECF Grading Database, one from 3Cs, one from Denton (both inactive). If my maths can be relied on, the chap you're looking for should be about 65 now.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:50 pm

James Pratt wrote:BCM is writing about chess at Olympia at the School Boys and Girls Exhibition, now long buried.

Who can help us with memories? We have a photo of the 1958 Primary Schools Champ, one Roger Taylor. Did you know him?

James Pratt
www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk
Bob Wade ran the stand for (I think) the Chess Education Society at the 1967/8 exhibition in Olympia, and had probably done so in at
least one previous year (and maybe also later). He recruited a team of student players including myself to run a continuous replacement
simultaneous (10 or 12 boards I think) against all comers. Opponents were mostly kids and teenagers I suppose.
We each did a 2-hour stint and then handed over ongoing games to the next person.

Les Blackstock was one of the others doing the simul.

My only clear recollection is that one day I was the starter and so began with about eight opponents. Bob warned me that a particular
player had a higher rating than me, so I made sure to beat him, which came in handy psychologically when we were paired again in a
county match not long afterwards.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:43 pm

I believe I visited at some time in the late 1960s, when the simul giver was C B Wood, as I recall (perhaps incorrectly).

PB