Bob Wade

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Bob Wade

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Athenaeum did run several tournaments in the sixties and seventies. I recall reading in the records that, amongst posters to these forums, Roger de Coverly played.
They ran a couple of 6 round weekend tournaments on the Islington pattern (1 round Friday, 3 rounds Saturday, 2 Sunday - move rate 48/120 plus adjudication ) in June and October 1969. As far as I recall these were in a art gallery just north of Oxford Street. It was a strong field, the first was won by Ray Keene with Michael Franklin also playing.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Simon Spivack wrote:I may have to edit this post. Accessing a computer at this time of night normally comes back to bite me, I probably won't be able to see too well tomorrow.
Kevin Thurlow wrote:Simon

Great tribute.
Thanks Kevin.

There is a little story associated with the first photo of Bob in this tribute. I obtained it some years ago by scanning an old issue of Patzer magazine. Having done so I obtained the permission of Bob, George Szaszvari (the magazine editor) and J Gakovic (the photographer). I believe I still have George's email renouncing all rights to the picture , the other permissions were verbal.
Just for the record the picture of Bob was taken at the Hammersmith Open tournament of the year of that issue.
As far as I'm concerned the picture is public domain material, but I dunno what Zarko (Jack) Gakovic thinks about
that.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Bob's game at C&B on 21/05/95 (v Berks) was against MC Bowhay (Basingstoke), about a 165 player. It was a French and Bob declared afterwards 'it is the opening I know must about.' I have a feeling it went via a 2. Nc3 Veresov type thingie

The Berks player did not keep the score, sadly.

When is the Wade volume to appear? I want a copy!

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat May 03, 2014 10:26 am

Paul McKeown wrote:1.

Does anyone have a copy of the BCF Yearbook for 1961-62?

Could you tell me who the Middlesex match captain was for that season, please?

And I believe the Middlesex match captain for 1962-63 was Eileen Tranmer. Am I right?

[That was the year that Middlesex made a clean sweep, Shannon Trophy for the SCCU counties championship, Amboyna Trophy for the SCCU competition over 50 boards, Ebony Trophy for the SCCU competition over 80 boards and, finally, the BCF Counties Championship, too.... The county juniors won their union, national and correspondence championships too. Happy days, oh mighty Middlesex!]

Paul - probably a little late. The 1961/62 Middlesex Match Captain was D.G. Levens.

Also can anyone tell me about a specific Norfolk player. The Middlesex match books give him as "WJ Hartwell" on board 1 in the 1957-58 season and as "WJ Hartnell" on board 2 in the 1961-62 season. Which spelling is correct? [Needless to say, he was mowed down by Bob on both occasions...]

And, here is a difficult one, does anyone have a grading list for the 1978-79 season, which seems to have suffered from interimitis? If so, what grade applied to the following players, who were Bob's opponents in the 1978-79 season: PV Byway (Herts.), JB Howson (Essex), R Moss (Berks.), NE Povah (Surrey), ME Binks (Gloucs.), B Eley (Yorks.), J Horner (Lancs.)?

Thanks!

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat May 03, 2014 10:30 am

Gordon Cadden wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:1.

Does anyone have a copy of the BCF Yearbook for 1961-62?

Could you tell me who the Middlesex match captain was for that season, please?

And I believe the Middlesex match captain for 1962-63 was Eileen Tranmer. Am I right?

[That was the year that Middlesex made a clean sweep, Shannon Trophy for the SCCU counties championship, Amboyna Trophy for the SCCU competition over 50 boards, Ebony Trophy for the SCCU competition over 80 boards and, finally, the BCF Counties Championship, too.... The county juniors won their union, national and correspondence championships too. Happy days, oh mighty Middlesex!]

Paul - probably a little late. The 1961/62 Middlesex Match Captain was D.G. Levens.

Also can anyone tell me about a specific Norfolk player. The Middlesex match books give him as "WJ Hartwell" on board 1 in the 1957-58 season and as "WJ Hartnell" on board 2 in the 1961-62 season. Which spelling is correct? [Needless to say, he was mowed down by Bob on both occasions...]

And, here is a difficult one, does anyone have a grading list for the 1978-79 season, which seems to have suffered from interimitis? If so, what grade applied to the following players, who were Bob's opponents in the 1978-79 season: PV Byway (Herts.), JB Howson (Essex), R Moss (Berks.), NE Povah (Surrey), ME Binks (Gloucs.), B Eley (Yorks.), J Horner (Lancs.)?

Thanks!

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat May 03, 2014 10:32 am

The 1961/62 Middlesex Match Captain was D.G. Levens.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat May 03, 2014 12:06 pm

For grading:

You could try looking at Chess, Vol 44, No 826 (or 825-6) p387
Sadly this is the one volume of Chess from this period that I don't possess, but there is a cross-reference to gradings on this page from the next issue.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat May 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Sorry, I see now that this all seems to be a mistaken resurrection of long ago posts.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat May 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:For grading:

You could try looking at Chess, Vol 44, No 826 (or 825-6) p387
Sadly this is the one volume of Chess from this period that I don't possess, but there is a cross-reference to gradings on this page from the next issue.
CHESS, Vol. 44 M.E. Binks 193 P.V. Byway 194 B.R. Eley 210 J. Horner 217 R. Moss 190 N.E. Povah 208 (JB Howson not listed).

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat May 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Sorry, I see now that this all seems to be a mistaken resurrection of long ago posts.
Just 4 years. This is the Chess History section.