Printer's devil

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Townsend

Printer's devil

Post by John Townsend » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:59 pm

The "printer's devil" was a young employee at a printer's. Have you found instances in 19th century books where the "printer's devil" has added amusing comments in footnotes, perhaps mocking the author or editor? For some reason, the only two examples I have seen are both from chess history.

Rev. A.C.L.P. D'Arblay's Caissa Rediviva (Sampson Low, 1836) contains the impressive line:

"High Heaven expanded wide its everflaming portals !* "

A footnote reads:

"* Our author renders thus the line not limpy:
Panditur interea domus omnipotentis Olympi.
I beg your pardon, if the truth I urge ill;
But you must know he's cribbed that line from Virgil.
(Note by the Printer's Devil.)"

Secondly, in the British Miscellany (1841), the precursor of Chess Player's Chronicle, a remark has been added by the "printer's devil" in a footnote:

"And my impression is that you are both a pair of humbugs!"

Was this kind of impish insertion by the "printer's devil" a common thing? Are there other examples in chess literature?

Best wishes,

John Townsend
Last edited by John Townsend on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

John Clarke

Re: Printer's devil

Post by John Clarke » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:04 am

I can recall one incident of a similar kind - not chess-related, unfortunately - from over thirty years ago. Some prankster succeeded in making a few mildly obscene additions to illustrated advertisements in the New Zealand Yellow Pages. All the copies had been printed and distributed before the thing came to light. I can't remember now whether the perpetrator was identified, let alone what became of him.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 am

Thank you, John. Was the expression, "printer's devil", used in connection with this incident?

There has been no flood of responses citing 19th century examples of mischievous work by the "printer's devil". Perhaps the expression was rarely used in that sense. I am even wondering whether the second of my two examples could have been influenced by the former. The editor of the British Miscellany, James Hemming Webb, is known to have been a keen chess player and is likely to have been familiar with D'Arblay's work.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:22 pm

John Townsend wrote:Thank you, John. Was the expression, "printer's devil", used in connection with this incident?
I don't recall seeing the term mentioned anywhere in reports of that business. I think usage of it would be confined to the British Isles.

BTW, a fictional incident of this kind turns up in Monica Dickens' My Turn To Make The Tea (1951), when the narrator, a junior reporter left in charge of putting the local paper to bed, at the last minute yanks a story that's highly detrimental to a friend of hers. Many of Ms Dickens' early novels are based on true-life experiences, but I don't know if this particular episode was.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:44 am

Hi John & John,

I went through my 19th Century books (including a 1937 Lewis)

Nothing.

However I did unearth a 'Cartoonist Chess Devil' in the 'The Broons' a few years ago.

Look at the two at the back of the cartoon. That is Smylsov (standing) looking at a Tony Miles (sitting) game.

I have seen the actual picture but I cannot for the life of me remember where.
(It must be in a CHESS or BCM I don't have.)

The cartoonist has them in a stamp club!

Earlier in the strip he has Horace in a Chess Club.
So I guess the lad bought a mag to copy a chess scene and used this in the stamp club.

I reckon it was taken between 1983-86 When Smyslov was having a bit a Swan Song.
Or maybe earlier because that is a young looking Tony Miles.
But I do recall seeing the pose in a genuine picture....where?