Alleged games of MM Botvinnik

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

Re: Alleged games of MM Botvinnik

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:38 pm

I've let them know about the errors that I've spotted but they've yet to be corrected but, yes, not terribly reliable!

Perhaps Winter should be the curator!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:34 am

Tim Harding wrote:I would never dream of using chessgames.com as a source for any kind of historical data.
They're not even very assiduous about making corrections once they've been told about the mistakes. I wrote in once, pointing out an error in the score of one of Golombek's games, explaining how it had come about and citing all the necessary references. They ignored it completely, and the incorrect version is still up there.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Don't you have to go through some sort of formal process to get corrections there??

I think there are still only a couple of people running that website, tbf.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:47 pm

Oh yes, you have to go to a particular page and fill out the on-line form that's displayed there. I did all that. Maybe that part of the site isn't monitored as regularly as some, although it's at least two years now since I pointed out the Golombek error.

But while you're talking of fairness, I should remark that they've been pretty prompt to correct several factual errors which I've notified via posts using the "Kibitzing" feature (eg confusion of P N Lee with G D Lee, etc).
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)