Imperial Chess Club Tournament 1927

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Paul McKeown

Imperial Chess Club Tournament 1927

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:05 pm

I have been working (with Bob) for some considerable time on the biography of RGW and during that period I have had a great deal of help from various other writers around the world. Inevitably they have asked me to help them, but most of their requests were too difficult for me. I hope this forum might be of some assistance to them. The first to help me (big time with copies of everything that CJS Purdy wrote in his magazine about Bob in the period from 1936 to 1949) was Maurice Carter an American, how was co-writing a book about Nimzowitsch. Can anyone help him, please? In his own words:
Email From: Maurice Carter, To: Paul McKeown, Sent: 10 July 2005 wrote:Perhaps you can assist me!!
I am working with a fellow countryman of
yours, Phil Hughes. He is Editor of Chess Post,
magazine of the British Correspondence Chess Society and has a web site, Uncrowned Kings.

We are doing a book on Nimzowitsch. Perhaps you
could find out or know someone or a place, or even
ask Mr Wade. I heard he has a large library.

When Nimzowitsch was in the UK in 1927, he played
in 2 events in London. In Oct the British Empire
Event (we have that) and another at the Imperial
Chess Club (we need his games from this event)
and he played at least one simultanous, perhaps more. The ICC and sim were after the BEC event,
so in Nov Dec or Jan 1928.

Perhaps details of the simul,and games from it and the ICC event would be quite helpful.

Also the British Master Frederick Yates. Did he write chess columns in newspapers and
where is a source for them?

The Imperial Chess Club is no more. Who would
perhaps have their Club records?

I have checked the British Chess Magazine for
1927 and 28 which didn't offer any help.

Another long shot is anyone family member or friend played Nimzowitsch in a simul. Maybe
some record was kept. Of course I expect no
one is alive today who played Nimzowitsch
in 1928

Paul McKeown

Re: Imperial Chess Club Tournament 1927

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Before I waste anyone's time, I should say I was able to answer one of Maurice's questions:
Chess Columns A List, by Ken Whyld, Publishing House Moravian Chess (their web-site is www.moravian-chess.cz), 2002 lists the following columns by FD Yates:

a) Daily Telegraph, London. National daily newspaper, first published 1855. Currently best selling "quality" broadsheet in UK, right of centre.
Yates was columnist from 1929-1932 (+11/32).
Previous chess editors were Löwenthal from 1867, Gunsberg 1908-1925. Later editors were BH Wood 1978-87, Stean 80-, Spanier 88-, Pein 1994 to date.
Sources given as HJ Murray 1898, list in Bodleian library; HJ Murray list c. 1938, with notes by Bushke; AC White in Norwich Mercury 19 May 1907- 4 April 1908.

b) Manchester Guardian, Manchester. National daily newspaper, first published 1821. Renamed The Guardian when moved to London. Currently a popular "quality" broadsheet in UK, left-of-centre, popular with teachers amongst others.
Weekly chess column.
Yates was columnist ?-1932.
Previous columnists I (or J?) Brown 1905-, Gunsberg 1906-1914. Later columnists du Mont 1952-1955, Barden April 1955 - current day.

c) Yorkshire Evening Post, Leeds. Regional daily, first published 1890.
Weekly chess column.
Yates was columnist Nov. 1910- ?.
Previous columnist was FP Wildman ?-1910. Later columnists were RW Ives 1958-Aug. 1963, RB Edwards 1970-1974.
Whyld gives the following notes: Mondays in 1911 (not a great col), not 1921, 1929. Thursdays in 1958. Ives died Feb. 1961.
Sources given as HJ Murray 1898, list in Bodleian library; HJ Murray list c. 1938, with notes by Bushke; British Library; The Yearbook of Chess 1914; BCF Yearbook.
d) Yorkshire Weekly Post, Leeds. Saturdays, first published 1754, sometime Yorkshire Weekly Post Illustrated.
Yates was columnist 11 Nov. 1910-June 1927.
Previous columnists were Gunsberg 3 Nov 1900-Mar 1902, Wildman 4 April 1902-30 Oct 1910. Later columnists include F Schofield 1927-1935.
Sources given as HJ Murray 1898, list in Bodleian library; HJ Murray list c. 1938, with notes by Bushke; AC White in Norwich Mercury 19 May 1907- 4 April 1908; The Yearbook of Chess 1914.

e) Yorkshire Times
Yates columnist 1914.
Notes by Whyld "Probably a ghost"
Sources given as Watts St P 1914 tnt book

Hope this helps a little. Recommend getting a copy of the Whyld columns book, excellent source for researcher, admittedly pricy.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:20 pm

I was able to produce one more piece of information, which I emailed him:
Hi Maurice,

I have started digging into British and London local newspapers for you, with regard to the Imperial Chess Club Tournament of 1927. I have found some references in The Daily Telegraph of London:

Tues. Nov. 22 1927 p. 5: LONDON CHESS TOURNAMENT The very interesting and useful little tournament which has been progressing at the Imperial Chess Club, 62 , Brooke-street, W., came to an end last night. The idea underlying this competition was to give some of our leading English players a chance to show what they can do when pitted against Nimsowitsch, one of the finest European chess players. Although neither Yates, Winter, Buerger, Goldstein, and Morrison, the other five competitors, succeeded in winning a game against Nimsowitsch, yet they played some very good chess against him. Winter should have won his game. The best game played against the champion occurred in the fourth round in the game Yates v. Nimsowitsch. It was a fine, plucky contest, and it leaves one with the impression that Yates, who declined the forced draw, should have won. The final order was: 1, Nimsowitsch; 2, Yates; 3, Winter; the others being some distance behind.

Mon. Nov. 21 1927, p. 10: INTERNATIONAL CHESS The chess tournament at the Imperial Chess Club, Brook-street, London, was practically decided on Saturday, when Niemsowitsch and Yates, after a hard game, agreed to a draw after the position had been reduced to a Bishop and five pawns each. Niemsowitsch score of 7½ cannot now be reached by any other competitor, though the second and third places are still open. Winter, in his game with Buerger, did not make the best if his Queen’s pawn opening, and his opponent, finally assured his point by the win of a Bishop. Morrison and Goldstein had an evenly contested draw. The scores after the ninth round were as follows: A. Niemsowitsch 7½, F. D. Yates 6, W. Winter 5, V. Buerger 4½, M. E. Goldstein 2½, and J. H. Morrison 1½.

Sat. Nov. 19 1927, p. 12: LONDON CHESS TOURNEY In the eighth round of the international tournament now being played at the Imperial Chess Club winter and Niemsowitsch quickly exchanged all the minor pieces, a draw resulting on the twentieth move. Yates won by a direct King’s side attack against Morrison. Buerger and Goldstein adjourned an ending of Bishops and level pawns, a draw being the probable result. Scores: A. Niemsowitsch, 7; F. D. Yates, 5½; W. Winter, 5; V. Buerger 3 and 1 adjourned; M. E. Goldstein, 1½ and 1 adjourned; J. H. Morrison, 1.

I noted from Mon. Nov. 14 1927, p. 12 that the second half of the tournament started that day, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to copy the information; nor did I have time to chase up earlier references, but I promise I will do all this for you. I will also look up other British and London local newspapers to see if there is any further information available.

Best Regards,

Paul McKeown.
Any further contributions would be very welcome.

Edward Tandi

Post by Edward Tandi » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 am

It just so happens that I have a book titled "London 1927" British Empire Club Tournament, by a certain Raymond D. Keene. It has the games in it. Good photos too.

ISBN 900846 40 2

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Edward Tandi wrote:It just so happens that I have a book titled "London 1927" British Empire Club Tournament, by a certain Raymond D. Keene. It has the games in it. Good photos too.

ISBN 900846 40 2
Edward, I have the horrid feeling that your post falls into the category, "unhelpfully helpful". I quote from my correspondent's email, which I gave in my first post to this thread:
Email From: Maurice Carter, To: Paul McKeown, Sent: 10 July 2005 wrote:In Oct the British Empire
Event (we have that) and another at the Imperial
Chess Club (we need his games from this event)
In other words, the British Empire Club Tournament is what he already has. It is the Imperial Chess Club Tournament that he needs to learn more about.

Out of curiosity, is the Keene book, Keene's own research conducted by trawling through old newspapers, journals, club and county records, or is it simply a reprint under the Harding-Simpole imprint from some older tournament book? Not that the reprints aren't useful, they certainly are, but in that case the author should not be given as Raymond D. Keene.

Regards,
Paul McKeown.

Edward Tandi

Post by Edward Tandi » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:08 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:In other words, the British Empire Club Tournament is what he already has. It is the Imperial Chess Club Tournament that he needs to learn more about.
Apologies, I must have read through it too quickly.
Paul McKeown wrote:Out of curiosity, is the Keene book, Keene's own research conducted by trawling through old newspapers, journals, club and county records, or is it simply a reprint under the Harding-Simpole imprint from some older tournament book? Not that the reprints aren't useful, they certainly are, but in that case the author should not be given as Raymond D. Keene.
Curiously enough, the book does reference a book titled "London 1927", a private printing by E. G. R. Cordingly.

Keene does add his own analysis in many of the games and some of the original scoresheets are reproduced. From the foreword, it looks like the book was commissioned by BCM Ltd.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Curiously enough, the book does reference a book titled "London 1927", a private printing by E. G. R. Cordingly.

Keene does add his own analysis in many of the games and some of the original scoresheets are reproduced. From the foreword, it looks like the book was commissioned by BCM Ltd.
Good old Ray - he does get a bad press at times - but he ain't all bad!

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:38 am

A very old thread but I thought it worth reviving since it is relevant to what I've just posted on BritBase...

https://www.saund.org.uk/britbase/pgn/1 ... iewer.html

I've collected eight of the possible 30 games of the six-player November 1927 Imperial Chess Club tournament won by Nimzowitsch, and added another Nimzowitsch win against Romi played a few days later in London. I have every sympathy for Maurice Carter as it has proved very difficult to find out much about this event as the usual conduits for chess material at that time, namely, the Times and BCM, were notably short of information on it. I've been unable to determine the exact start and end dates for the tournament but they were probably around 7 November and 19 November respectively. Hopefully the forum's historians will be able to help with this.

I was also wondering about the Nimzowitch and Wade book projects mentioned in the thread. Any progress?
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:26 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:38 am
A very old thread but I thought it worth reviving since it is relevant to what I've just posted on BritBase...

https://www.saund.org.uk/britbase/pgn/1 ... iewer.html

I've collected eight of the possible 30 games of the six-player November 1927 Imperial Chess Club tournament won by Nimzowitsch, and added another Nimzowitsch win against Romi played a few days later in London. I have every sympathy for Maurice Carter as it has proved very difficult to find out much about this event as the usual conduits for chess material at that time, namely, the Times and BCM, were notably short of information on it. I've been unable to determine the exact start and end dates for the tournament but they were probably around 7 November and 19 November respectively. Hopefully the forum's historians will be able to help with this.

I was also wondering about the Nimzowitch and Wade book projects mentioned in the thread. Any progress?
Small correction: you have Malcolm Edward Goldstein in the crosstable but Maurice in the games. His name was Maurice, not Malcolm.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:02 pm

Richard James wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:26 pm

Small correction: you have Malcolm Edward Goldstein in the crosstable but Maurice in the games. His name was Maurice, not Malcolm.
Thanks, Richard. Now corrected.

A few weeks ago you told me there was a name error in (I think) one of the 1950s or 1960s Bognor tournaments but I've subsequently forgotten what it was. Remind me...
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:50 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:02 pm

A few weeks ago you told me there was a name error in (I think) one of the 1950s or 1960s Bognor tournaments but I've subsequently forgotten what it was. Remind me...
I've just emailed you with this and other amendments.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:20 pm

Edward Tandi wrote:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:08 pm
Paul McKeown wrote:In other words, the British Empire Club Tournament is what he already has. It is the Imperial Chess Club Tournament that he needs to learn more about.
Apologies, I must have read through it too quickly.
Paul McKeown wrote:Out of curiosity, is the Keene book, Keene's own research conducted by trawling through old newspapers, journals, club and county records, or is it simply a reprint under the Harding-Simpole imprint from some older tournament book? Not that the reprints aren't useful, they certainly are, but in that case the author should not be given as Raymond D. Keene.

Interesting fact

Both were Surrey Individual Champions

1947 CORDINGLEY, Edgar George Reginald - correct spelling I believe
1965 KEENE, Raymond Dennis
1967 KEENE, Raymond Dennis
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.