Edward Guthlac Sergeant

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Colin Patterson

Re: Edward Guthlac Sergeant

Post by Colin Patterson » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Yes, I saw that Chessgames.com edit re: St Guthlac yesterday, and then noticed the contributor was someone of this parish, but not yet of this thread!

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 pm

I note that on 14 November 1898 E. G. Sergeant drew a game in Blackburne's simul at the Newcastle Chess Club. So he was probably still living in the north-east then, and if Gaige has his birth date correct then he was not quite 17 at the time. (Newcastle Courant 19 Nov 1898 has the game.)
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 am

I've a few details to add to my post further up the thread about Edward Guthlac Sergeant, having received an email from his granddaughter Marian.

Marian (and her elder sister Laura) are daughters of EGS's son Lewis Carter Sergeant, who had an elder brother Richard. (Lewis and Richard both attended Radley College.) Of EGS she writes: "I remember visiting my grandfather at 24 Gloucester Road in Kingston quite often when we were children. He always gave my sister and me half a crown! He had very bad eyesight and was almost blind in his old age." Marian adds, "unfortunately I did not learn to play chess - I should have!"
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:54 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:03 pm
I note that on 14 November 1898 E. G. Sergeant drew a game in Blackburne's simul at the Newcastle Chess Club. So he was probably still living in the north-east then, and if Gaige has his birth date correct then he was not quite 17 at the time. (Newcastle Courant 19 Nov 1898 has the game.)
Sergeant also beat Blackburne in a couple of simuls either side of the draw above.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm

PW Sergeant was the oldest player ever, I think, in the British Championship itself, at Leicester, 1960. When John Littlewood last played I wrote to him teasing that he'd not quite got the record. Paul wrote back that he'd get it - and he would have - the next year. Sadly, John died before achieving same.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 am

James Pratt wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm
PW Sergeant was the oldest player ever, I think, in the British Championship itself, at Leicester, 1960. When John Littlewood last played I wrote to him teasing that he'd not quite got the record. Paul wrote back that he'd get it - and he would have - the next year. Sadly, John died before achieving same.
James, you mean E G Sergeant, not P W, was the oldest player ever in the British Championship.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 am

whoops!