Lecture Course

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Richard Thursby

Re: Lecture Course

Post by Richard Thursby » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:05 am

I'd definitely be interested in learning about some of the great matches already mentioned, including historical context and chess politics of the day, interspersed with a few examples of play.

I'll also add to your list of doctors endorsing this idea. Sadly, my academic career is long behind me and these days I spend my time trying to make computers do what I want them to.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Colin S Crouch wrote:Greetings night-owls!

For a course on chess history and literature, based in Covent Garden, surely there is only one possible answer!
Just around the corner, La Bourdonnas and McDonnell battled for 85 epic games there, in 1834. Not surprisingly, they both ended up in wrecks, and each died young.
Many of the games were, by modern standards dreadful, but at its best showed remarkable inventiveness. Staunton, Andessn, Morphy and many others, were enthralled and inspired by this ground-breaking event. The origins of modern chess started there!
Louis Charles de la Bourdonnais was in poor health, and poverty stricken, when he arrived in London. He died in 1840, and was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery. George Walker paid for his Memorial Stone. Alexander McDonnell arrived at Kensal Green Cemetery in 1835, shortly after the cemetery was opened.
Covent Garden is a wonderful location for a series of lectures on chess history. The 18th. century players at Slaughters Coffee House, would make an interesting lecture. For the 19th. century, we have Simpsons Divan.
Also Hutmanns Coffee House in Southampton Street. This was the venue for the marathon match between Labourdonnais and McDonnell. Mr Hutmann had the novel idea of selling cigars wrapped in a chess problem.
Last edited by Gordon Cadden on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Good Luck with this Paul.

You are getting some good advice from the other lads, thought I might chip in.

I was dropped in it back in the late 70's when the Edinburgh council decided they wanted Chess night classes.
Been doing off and on up until a few years ago. Great fun and sunk the hook into quite
a few lads who are still playing chess (they of course hate me for it.)
Qualifications = zilch, I even failed my 11+.

I have no idea if you have much demo-board practise in, if not organise a few stints
at your club to get used to it. It's a different chessboard up there, your class will
see it better than you, you have to know the game(s) well so you can answer most
questions without even looking at the board.

Chess is very rich in history, never a dull decade since 1820 (when the Edinburgh - London match took place. 1825 - 1829.)

They have given you enough time to prepare something very special and I'm sure you will come through brilliantly.
(If you have the nerve to play the Alekine's against the best the country can offer then this will be a walk in the park.) :wink:

Again, Good Luck.

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:49 pm

How about one of the greatest tournaments of all, Nottingham 1936, which included the world's top 8 players?

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Another doctor, another endorsement. Best of luck, Paul.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Yep, ditto what Justin said.... speaking as an academic (scientist) of little distinction, but the possessor of a PhD and sundry memberships of 'learned societies' (and a person paid to give lectures about stuff).

So - Good on Paul. Any chess player of useful standard and ENTHUSIASM, prepared to stand up publicly and tell people about the rich history of chess and why it is a fascinating reflection of human history, thought and endeavour, deserves encouragement. Pleased to see all the useful suggestions, and the best of luck to Paul.

PS Anyone know a good link to a description of the famous puzzle which is told as 'the general and his aide-de-camp', where pieces keep getting shot off the board (i.e. being removed) and there is STILL a forced mate, but this time a different one? Too fiddly for a lecture, I'd guess - at least outside of a chess club - but a fascinating example of the intellectual puzzle power (and humour) of chess.

Chess jokes and aphorisms might also be a help. A favourite of mine is that Tartakower one about:
"The winner of the game is the player who makes the NEXT-to-last mistake."

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi everyone! I was rather perturbed by the seemingly snarky initial response from a couple of respondents on this thread and wondered why I had bothered taking the enterprise to this forum. However, the very positive response I received from a long list of chess playing Doctors, Crouch, Rogers, Upham, Thursby, Hadi and Elliott, and from a number without (yet) such academic distinction, O' Gorman, Reuben, McKenna, Cadden and Chandler, restored my faith in the chess community, displaying generosity, commonsense and a willingness to support others in the chess community.

The good news is that the project is to go ahead. I and Julian Way will be leading seven courses in the Summer and Winter of 2014 and the Spring of 2015. Most of these are aimed at novices and will not be of interest to most readers of the forum - although if you know of anyone who wishes to take up chess from scratch, or from a low level, then, please, get them to look at the City Lit prospectus.

However, I will be holding a two hour lecture and discussion on the matches between de Labourdonnais and McDonnell, which may well be of interest to forum readers. It will probably take place on Monday 28 July from 18.30 – 20.30, although the date and time is still subject to change.

The blurb is:
Explore the famous series of chess matches played in London in 1834 between Labourdonnais and McDonnell. Consider the background and the impact of the matches, key games and the relative strengths of the players.
The course outline is as follows:
What is the course about?
The chess matches played between Louis-Charles Mahe de Labourdonnais and Alexander McDonnell at the Westminster Chess Club in 1834

What topics will we cover?
The players, the background to the match, the key games and key moments in those games, the strengths and weakness of the two players and the impact this match had on the development of chess as an international sport.

By the end of this course you should be able to:
List and evaluate the key games in the matches. Identify the relative merits of the two players. Discuss the impact these matches had for the further development of international chess.

What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?*
A familiarity with the rules, tactics and strategy of the game of chess would be needed to obtain full benefit from the discussion of the games, although not necessary. No knowledge of the history of the game is assumed.

How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?*
The various aspects will be introduced in short lectures, and technical aspects will be demonstrated on chess playing software. There will be an opportunity to discuss the context and the games with other learners and the lecturer.

Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?*
All materials will be provided.
I look forward to taking up Dr. Colin Crouch's kind invitation to discuss the content of the course over a pint in Chiswick over the coming few months. Colin, of course, has a D. Phil. in history, and his input will be invaluable.

And, even more, I look forward to seeing some forum members at the lecture and various people involved in chess in London. I would greatly appreciate it if people were able to spread the word around...

Thanks!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:56 pm

Good news for chessplayers and the public.
Thank you, Paul, for getting this lecture project off the drawing board and onto launchpad.
I'll sign up even if it costs me dearly - I'm not thinking about spondulics more about my hide.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Sounds good - deserves to be well supported ... then we may get more.

Paul

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:42 am

Great idea and I wish you success.

Have you considered producing a video of the lectures?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 am

Thank you Paul and Ihor for your kind wishes.

Video. Sounds scary, I haven't any previous experience of it. I will give it some thought, though, and will consult with City Lit.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:15 pm

In my diary. Hope the clash with Aberystwyth won't be a problem?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Brendan, any clash may be more of a problem for Aberystwyth than for Paul's lecture.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Just to confirm, the lecture on McDonnell versus La Bourdonnais will be on Monday July 28th from 18:30 - 20:30. I hope many forum regulars and forum lurkers will be happy to turn out. Wish me luck - and bring a friend!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks for that reminder, Paul.
Looking forward to it.