Did everyone try really hard to beat Vera Menchik ?!

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Simon Spivack

Re: Did everyone try really hard to beat Vera Menchik ?!

Post by Simon Spivack » Tue May 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Jessica Fischer wrote:Good morning.

Mr. Urcan, I do appreciate your reminder that Mr. Winter does not wish images posted on his website to be copied and posted in other places on the internet without his permission.

I apologize for this happening with the youtube Slide Show I made about Vera Menchik.

As Mr. Gavriel notes, I did indeed find all of those images on a Google Search, but I realize this is not an adequate excuse. I made that video four years ago and I was not as "in the know" on such issues as I am now.

In lieu of just deleting the video, I'm going to add this to the introduction:

"Many of the images that appear in this video first appeared on Edward Winter's "Chess Notes," and I have included them in this video without first asking his permission. Mr. Winter has collected, scanned and posted many chess images on his website, often at considerable expense to himself, so he should at the least be properly accredited as the ultimate source for some of the images that appear in this or any other video. At the time I made the video I was not aware of this, as I found all of the images via a "Google image search. I do regard the use of any images, music or film in this video to fall under the fair use for education purposes under current US, Canadian, and EU copyright law."

The edited introduction can be seen now in the "description section: of the Vera Menchik video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTOlSZ9Yqew

I would like to add a few further notes on this topic. First, none of my youtube chess history videos is monetized. Second, in actual fact, according to current US, Canadian, and EU copyright law, the use of not only internet images, but also music and video, may be considered available for use in educational projects under the "fair use clause."

In addition, I might point out that Mr. Winter himself posted on his website a link to another video I made about Alexander Alekhine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRg3I--SfA The images, film and music I used for this video were also found via Google Searches, and in my opinion, they fall under the "fair use clause" for use in educational material. Mr. Winter did not ask my permission to post a link to my Alekhine video, although I was pleased that he did post the link. I do understand that Mr. Winter did not embed my Alekhine video on his website, and I also understand that I have my current youtube settings configured to "allow embedding." I do not think Mr. Winter did wrong to post that link.

All that said, there is no excuse for not at least crediting Mr. Winter for supplying some of the original scans for some of the images I did (unwittingly, at the time) use in the Menchik video, now that I know that is the case. I have no reason to doubt either you or Mr. Winter on this.

Many of the images I use in my videos, however, are my own scans of material from old Russian chess books, and such. The current video I'm working on is a documentary of the Bled/Zagreb/Belgrade 1959 candidates match. Most of the images I'm using in this production were scanned by myself from a Russian tournament book. I believe you may be aware that the copyright on any images from Soviet material became invalid on the demise of the Soviet Union? Under that regime, the state, not the photographer, held copyright on such images. The state, and attendant original copyright on all images, became defunct in 1989.

At any rate, I do understand we have differing points of view on this topic.

In future chess history work I will be more careful in using images from a google search, to make sure I know the website the images originally came from, particularly if that site is Mr. Winter's "Chess Notes." I do not think it is a copyright violation to use images from Mr. Winter's site, without permission, for fair use in an educational project. I do, however, agree that it is rude not to accredit him when I know his site was where the original image appeared on the internet, so far as that can be determined.

Sincerely,
Jessica Fischer
Jessica,

You are more fastidious than some! For what it's worth, I approve.

Anyway, jumping quickly to my ulterior motive: a while ago you uploaded some videos about Nicolas Rossolimo, in particular this one. Roughly ten minutes, forty-five seconds into this film the narrator reads out the words of a speech delivered by the late Bob Wade. I presume you obtained this from a magazine or something equivalent. Do you still have the source? It would be of interest to Bob's authorised biographer. If you can help, I should be grateful should you send me, at your convenience, an image of the text either in this thread, by private message or by email to otiosechessnotes at gmail dot com.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Jessica Fischer

Re: Did everyone try really hard to beat Vera Menchik ?!

Post by Jessica Fischer » Wed May 07, 2014 1:35 am

Simon

Well yes I can help you there.

First, I just checked my folder on Rossolimo and found that the information you seek was originally posted in Edward Winter's Chess Notes.

I have added accredidation to Mr. Winter, and listed the data provenance in the introduction to the Rossolimo video, which now reads as follows:

######################

IMPORTANT SOURCE NOTE:

Data provenance of aborted Wade-Rossolimo match in Paris 1949:

Edward Winter Chess Note 5899: http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/wint ... e_in_Paris

"Dominique Thimognier (St Cyr sur Loire, France) draws our attention to material about Robert Wade in the Bulletin Ouvrier des Echecs in February and March 1949. Our correspondent comments:

‘The Bulletin reported that Wade, who was invited to Paris by the Communist body the FSGT (Fédération Sportive et Gymnique du Travail), was due to play a match against Rossolimo in the French capital but that the Fédération Française des Echecs banned Rossolimo from playing. Instead, there was a two-game match between Wade and François Molnar. Both games were drawn.’"

Credit to Mr. Winter for posting the information and newspaper scans on his website.

All material in this video is presented under the fair use clause for non-profit educational presentation. This video is not monetized.

##########################################

I don't know if Mr. Winter or Mr. Thimognier scanned those newspaper pages, but I know I didn't, so all source credit must go to one or both of them.

On Mr. Winter's Chess Note 5899, if you click on the newspaper links you can see all of the text in French. I translated the sections about Bob Wade's comments and then reported those comments in the video.

I will now go through all the rest of my chess history videos to make sure Mr. Winter is properly accredited for any material I originally found at his website.