Another Hastings Club Chess Tour (1909)

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Gerard Killoran

Another Hastings Club Chess Tour (1909)

Post by Gerard Killoran » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:36 pm

Olimpbase also fails to record the 1909 Hastings Chess Club tour of Scotland, but the The Hastings and St. Leonard Observer (Saturday August 7, 1909) gives a full account and makes for entertaining reading and an insight into the early days of the tourism industry:

The Hastings and St. Leonard Observer, Saturday August 7, 1909

HASTINGS CHESS CLUB TOUR.

A PLEASANT TIME IN SCOTLAND.

[Specially contributed to the "Observer" by one of the party.]

[Edinburgh, August 1st.]

We have arrived safe and sound.

Messrs. Dobell, Fellows, Mann, and Stephenson started from Hastings on Friday, July 30th, and were joined at King's Cross by Messrs. Chandler, Langly, Lockey, and Ross. The journey to Edinburgh passed very pleasantly with anecdotes and games of chess. We were very interested in the scenery, and obtained good views of York and Durham, but soon after leaving the latter station it became too dark to see.

At Newcastle we were joined by Mr. and Mrs. Jones, and Mr. and Mrs. Wight, but Messrs. Cole and Ginn we found at Edinburgh, while Mr. and Mrs. Watt will complete our party at Glasgow.

At Edinburgh Station we were met by Mr. Richmond, for many years a member of the Hastings Club, and a party of the Edinburgh Chess Club. After reaching the hotel we took a long walk with Richmond, who showed us various places of interest.

On Saturday morning we had time to look about us. Princes-Street where our hotel is situated is one of the finest streets in Europe. Opposite our hotel is the Scott Monument, and from my room I have a fine view of the Castle. At breakfast Richmond, on behalf of the Edinburgh Chess Club, invited us to lunch at the Royal British Hotel.

Our first excursion was to the Castle. You have to describe a circle round the Castle by a road which gradually ascends, before you can enter. This is rather nice, since you are able to see the Castle on all sides, it is supposed to be inaccessible on one side, but we plainly saw where it could be scaled, and. if need be, were all prepared to show the Scotch how to do it. Anyhow, no one asked us, so the natives lost their opportunity.

I must say I had a feeling of awe as I passed the huge gates. In my mind I saw the old Scottish nobles, with their stern, rugged faces, then the young Queen, with her gay attendants. I thought of her melancholy history, and turned to a comrade to unburden myself, but I caught a few phrases such as “B x Kt with a better game," and "You should play to the 5th first," so I descended to earth.

We engaged a guide at the entrance. He had a stock of quiet humour; it was not exactly what may be termed “dry humour,” since the point of the joke was mostly something to do with “whisky” and drinking. Edinburgh Castle stands on a lofty rock commanding the town. The first thing that strikes the visitor is its impregnability, yet history tells us it was captured. We were shown the various batteries and the gun fired by electricity at one o'clock, also the place where Moray and 30 men scaled the Castle in 1313 and surprised the English while asleep. It was said he was guided by a young man who was accustomed to make the climb to see his sweetheart. Our guide was a great admirer of this laird Leander, and stated that he had done such things himself in his youth for the fair sex.

From the top of Argyll's Tower we had a fine view of the city, though it was too misty to see far. We inspected Argyll's Prison, where he enjoyed his “last sleep,” and from whence Montrose and other notable prisoners were led to execution.

We next visited the banqueting hall. Its walls are decorated with a large collection. of armour and weapons, and the carvings are very fine. At the further end is the gun carriage that bore the remains of the late Queen at her funeral. We saw Queen Mary's room, where Mary of Guise died, and where James I of England was born. I was duly impressed, but I must say I thought the room very small and poky. I think if I had I been a queen, and had had such important business on hand, I should have chosen a larger room. The Regalia was next visited. Shakespeare would have described it as “the crown, the sceptre and the hall, the sword, the mace, the crown imperial, the intertissued robe of gold and pert," which is a very good description.

After leaving the Castle we strolled along the High-street to Holyrood Palace. On the way we passed the former houses of the nobility. They are very high and dirty, and are not inhabited by nobility now, far from it. We saw John Knox’s house, and the window from which he used to preach, also the old Tollbooth, with its turrets and spire and projecting clock.

We did not spend much time at Holyrood, but managed to see the picture gallery and Lord Darnley's apartments, which consisted of audience chamber, bedroom, and die-siege room, with their pictures and fading tapestry. Queen Mary's apartments were very interesting, with the famous supper room and brass-plated floor, where the body of Rizzio was dragged by Ruthven and Duglas.

The lunch at the Royal British Hotel proved a very good affair, and our hosts made its very much at home. After lunch we exchanged complimentary speeches, and the combined Clubs set out for Aberdour and the Forth Bridge by strainer. We took the tram to Leith. As at Hastings, there are two systems, underground and overhead. You have to change from one train to the other. The boat was very crowded, and it was here that we noted that one of our party was missing. We found him later. He had unexpectedly met a Scotch cousin. We had no idea he had relatives over the border. There was very little to see at Aberdour, though on nearing the pier we saw that the country was characteristic of Scotland, a land of "brown heath and shaggy wood."

The boat was less crowded now, and we settled ourselves for the tit-bit of the afternoon - the Forth- Bridge. The bridge is in three spans, and as we were nearing it we saw a toy train cross. On nearing the bridge we saw other trains pass, and found that they were ordinary trains, but that their small appearance was due to the huge size of the bridge.

We reached our hotel about 5.30, in time for dinner, and later departed for Albany-street, ready to do or die in honour of the old Hastings Club. Unfortunately, it was the latter. They had a very strong team waiting for us, and though we were assisted by Richmond, now removed to Edinburgh, they were too many for us, and we had to acknowledge defeat.

HASTINGS v. EDINBURGH.
---
Hastings - Edinburgh
C. W. Richmond ½ A. Jackson ½
Rev. Canon Ross 0 D. Simpson 1
H. G. Cole 1 R. A. Rankin 0
H E. Dobell 0 J. Crum 1
H. J. Stephenson ½ Dr. Wyse ½
J. Chandler 1 J. G. Thomson 0
F. J. Mann 0 P. Nisbet 1
W. D. Wight 0 E. Shanks 1
3 - 5

Game played on Board 3:-

Sunday wait a quiet day with us. Some went to the Cathedral, while others walked about the City and visited botanical gardens, Art galleries, and museums. The evening was wet, so that some sat in the smoking room playing chess.

On Monday morning we visited the Scott monument and climbed the summit. We obtained a remarkable view of the city from there. After this, we went with Richmond to Arthur's Seat, and had another splendid view of the city. “Auld Reekie” was deserving its name, so that the view was not very extensive. On our way back to the city we passed through the High-street, which is one long collection of historical interest, such as the Leyton's Mansions (site only); probably the one mentioned in Scott’s “The Abbott” was there, also auction mart, hook for holding the heads of criminals, and many others. Of course, we went into the St. Giles, where old Jenny Geddes threw the stool. There is a picture of the stool and the place where she stood. We came out of here in time to hear the one o'clock gun fired from the Castle.

After lunch, we entrained to Glasgow. I managed to do a little sight-seeing, especially at the Cathedral, which is remarkable. There are some very fine buildings, especially so is the Town Hall with its beautiful stairway of many kinds; of marble, which is, of course, famous throughout the land.

In the evening we played the Burns Club.

The match was played in the Athenaeum. It was not so satisfactory as could he wished, as there was a good deal less than three hours for play. Four games had to be adjudicated, and "Burns" agreeing to a win in Mr. Stephenson's game, where mate could be forced in a few moves, practically Hastings had the better position in each of the remaining games, so if a draw be given in each Hastings would have 5 to 3.

This was sufficient as far as the total was concerned, but vexing for the players concerned. The games at boards 1 and 2 were of a solid, careful type; Canon Ross had a lively attack, on Board 4 the Hastings man sacrificed B and Kt for R and P, Mr. Stephenson played a dashing attach which involved the sacrifice of his Queen, Mr. Chandler had to withstand a rigorous onslaught, but getting the exchange was left with a winning position. Mr. Mann had an interesting game, the position appearing to favour find one and then the other. Mr. Wight won a piece early, and careful play left his opponents without resource. Score:

Hastings - Burns
C. W. Richmond ½ A. Murray ½
Rev. Canon Ross ½ J. Birch ½
H. G. Cole ½ F. Krasler ½
H E. Dobell ½ Jas. Russell ½
H. J. Stephenson 1 J. McGrouther 0
J. Chandler a W. Scott a
F. J. Mann ½ J. Beveridge ½
W. D. Wight 1 R. Macdonald 0
4 ½ - 2 ½
One game unfinished.

On Tuesday morning the party set out by steamer on an expedition to the Kyle of Bute. I did not join them, but spent the time in looking over the city.

They had a good time, passing on the way Dunnoon, Rothesay, and other Clyde pleasure resorts. The river, with its grand hills and lake-like estuary, delighted the eye with its beautiful succession of scenery and colour. Toward the end of the trip there was a little rain.

In the evening we were guests to the Glasgow Chess Club. We were without Richmond, who telegraphed that he was unable to come. However, we played up well, and won in fine style, although the leading hoards were occupied by the champions of Glasgow and West of Scotland. The supper turned out to be a very fine dinner with many courses. Unfortunately, I cannot describe what was said and done as I was confined to my room with a severe headache.

Hastings - Glasgow
H. G. Cole ½ J. A. McKee ½
Rev. Canon Ross 1 W. Gibson 0
H E. Dobell ½ J. R. Longwill ½
H. J. Stephenson 1 A. J. Nelson 0
J. A. Watt 0 W. Scott 1
J. Chandler 1 J. McDonald 0
F. J. Mann 0 C. Wardhaugh 1
W. D. Wight 1 J. S. Heck 0
5 - 3

At the supper the President, in proposing, the toast of “The Hastings Club” expressed the hope that Glasgow would be able to pay a return visit to Hastings next year. The Glasgow papers, it may be of local interest to know are giving good reports of the tour.

On Wednesday we all eagerly looked to see what kind of weather it was. It was cloudy, but promised to be fair. We left Glasgow at 10.57, and arrived at Balloch Pier at 12.5. Then began a panorama of paradise. I have never seen anything like it before. The scenery is beyond description. The journey on Loch Lomond from Balloch Pier to Inversnaid is simply superb. High mountains on all sides covered with all manner of trees, with caves and hollows and depressions, with peak after peak rising behind each other in the distance. The lake is adorned with numerous islands, each a little paradise in itself, while hundreds of small houses nestle under the great pines and pretty sheep graze lazily over the hills. I was too interested to eat, and only one of our party went downstairs to dine. We next reached Loch Katrine, with its famous Ellen's Isle, immortalised by Scott, the Trossachs, and to Aberfoyle.

The coach journeys were delightful, the latter one especially. I am unable to describe the beauties of the mountains and dells, plains and valleys, covered with trees, gorse, and heather. You must rend your Scott for that. We arrived at Stirling very tired and hungry. I think we are all in good fettle, and are looking anxiously towards this evening, when we expect to win.

Hastings - Stirling
H. G. Cole 1 Harvey 0
H E. Dobell 0 Coster 1
H. J. Stephenson 1 Gray 0
J. A. Watt 1 Lupton 0
J. Chandler 0 Owen 1
F. J. Mann 1 Lindsey 0
W. D. Wight 1 Fraser 0
5 - 2

David McAlister

Re: Another Hastings Club Chess Tour (1909)

Post by David McAlister » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:01 am

There was also a Hastings CC tour of the West Country, Wales and Ireland in 1901. The Hastings and St. Leonards Observer had that one covered too.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Another Hastings Club Chess Tour (1909)

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:17 pm

"The Hastings and St. Leonard Observer (Saturday August 7, 1909) gives a full account and makes for entertaining reading and an insight into the early days of the tourism industry:"

A very fine report. Anyone visiting now will be shocked to see that Holyrood is overshadowed by the extremely ugly Scottish Parliament building.