Manchester League Trophy winners

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Mick Norris

Re: Manchester League Trophy winners

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:45 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:Mick
Eric has listed the winning teams for all eight Divisions. Also the Trophy winners for the James Reyner Shield, Dr. Victor Wahltuch Trophy, Dust Cup, Alfred Milner Trophy, H. Hartley Trophy, and the individual Bramley Harker Trophies.
Gordon, thanks for that, it gives us an easy way to check the information gleaned from the trophies themselves, and indeed to replace the missing engravings

I have to say that the Dust Cup is a new one to me, and I think the Hartley is still missing
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:07 pm

I have now found mention of Mr Dust
Alan Smith's website article

from which
The first match for the world chess championships between STEINITZ and ZUKERTORT in 1886 further raised the profile of the game.Local players were kept informed and educated by the excellent column conducted by Charles DUST in the Manchester weekly post.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote: [The MCF history of "Chess and Manchester"] is rich in biographies, and auto-biographies. The A4 covers are flimsy. It deserves to be re-printed with fine binding, and hardback covers.
Having recently read a borrowed copy I would agree with you, Gordon, and there has been some very preliminary discussion about whether it could be reprinted and/or updated.

Copies appear to be pretty scarce around Manchester, as it took some asking around to find someone who still had one...! Somebody somewhere probably remembers how many were printed, and there was (I'm told) distribution of a copy apiece to MCF member clubs. However, that was many years ago, and no-one at Chorlton (even veteran members) remembered a copy, not was one in the club library. I wonder how many other clubs still have them?

I'm guessing Alan Smith's Website article that Mick linked is derived from the same researches that went into Alan's several chapters in the book.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Martin Regan wrote:GC wrote:
For some unknown reason, the French Benedictine Liqueur Company, decided to sponsor an International Tournament in Manchester,
The reason is known. During WW1 the Lancashire pals were based in the area where the monks made the tipple and became quite attracted to it, as a consequence after the war they continued to drink it (as did their offspring) and in the 1960s, 1970s and 80s - I think more of the liqueur was sold in Bolton and Bury than anywhere else in the world.
That is very interesting ! It must be a very addictive liqueur.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Peoples (Alan Smith, Graham Burton, Lloyd Powell etc) were a continuation (at a different pub) of White Swan....Lloyd stopped playing
No longer! He's back. Catch him at Shrigley Hall in January :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:46 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Peoples (Alan Smith, Graham Burton, Lloyd Powell etc) were a continuation (at a different pub) of White Swan....Lloyd stopped playing
No longer! He's back. Catch him at Shrigley Hall in January :)
That's good news indeed, pity I won't be there