Gossip Wainwright 1882

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Gerard Killoran

Gossip Wainwright 1882

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:42 pm

I came across the following game in the Illustrated London News of April 22, 1882 (p394) but no date or venue was given. Wainwright was described as being 'of the Cambridge University Club' although he went to Oxford. (The Leeds Mercury made the same mistake in their report of the Counties Chess Association Meeting at Manchester later that year.) I can't find any event where Wainwright and Gossip competed together in 1881 or early 1882. Does anyone have a suggestion for where and when this game took place?

James Pratt

Re: Gossip Wainwright 1882

Post by James Pratt » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:12 pm

I looked in Di Felice and BCMs of the era. Nuffin'. I could, if you like, Gerard, give the game in the magazine and see if someone would come forward. They very well might.

James Pratt
Editor
www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:26 am

Where would you put these players in terms of ability for their day? The very best in the world or on the fringe of that? Playing through the game is quite an experience.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:19 am

MJMcCready wrote:Where would you put these players in terms of ability for their day? The very best in the world or on the fringe of that? Playing through the game is quite an experience.
Gossip's entry is one of the best chess articles on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._D._Gossip

From that:
Wikipedia wrote:He competed in chess tournaments between 1870 and 1895, playing against most of the world's leading players, but with only modest success.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:I came across the following game in the Illustrated London News of April 22, 1882 (p394) but no date or venue was given. Wainwright was described as being 'of the Cambridge University Club' although he went to Oxford. (The Leeds Mercury made the same mistake in their report of the Counties Chess Association Meeting at Manchester later that year.) I can't find any event where Wainwright and Gossip competed together in 1881 or early 1882. Does anyone have a suggestion for where and when this game took place?
There is an unjustified assumption here that the game was played in a formal competition. Wainwright was in London for the Oxford-Cambridge university match on 30 March 1882 (held at the St. George's CC) where he was on board 2 for Oxford. A few days later he played in a match between Oxford and the fourth class of the City of London CC. This would have been during the universities' Easter vacations so Wainwright might have been in London for a week or two.

Several Oxford match results from this period can be found in the magazines and columns of the time (e.g. volume 3 of The Chess-Monthly) but no match in which Wainwright played Gossip. I also searched the British Newspaper Archive without finding a mention of such a match. So most likely this was an offhand game played in London early in April at one of the clubs.
Wainwright, who played in the England-USA cable matches of 1907, 1908 and 1909, was then only an up-and-coming young player from Yorkshire. Gossip was an erratic player who occasionally had good results and boasted about them. So he probably gave the score to the ILN columnist (P. T. Duffy) or else Duffy happened to be a witness when it was played.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:31 am

I'm sure Tim is correct, unless there was a tournament or match we've all missed. Wainwright went on to become a member of the City of London chess club and this - or perhaps Simpson's Divan - was probably the venue. Gossip was inclined to publish his victories in offhand games, which was just one of the things that made him unpopular with his contemporaries. In fact he went on to spend the rest of the year in a wonderful spat with D. Y. Mills and others following Gossip's exclusion from an amateur tournament on the grounds of his professionalism.