Chess Being Played In Homes, Schools In Open Air

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Foley

Chess Being Played In Homes, Schools In Open Air

Post by John Foley » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:58 pm

This is a splendid newsreel from Pathe from a century ago which shows chess thriving amongst school children.
Any suggestions which country in which this was filmed?
I notice that in castling, the King was moved before the Rook.
Newsreel video

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Chess Being Played In Homes, Schools In Open Air

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 pm

John Foley wrote:This is a splendid newsreel from Pathe from a century ago which shows chess thriving amongst school children.
Any suggestions which country in which this was filmed?
I notice that in castling, the King was moved before the Rook.
Newsreel video
I think you meant to say "the Rook was moved before the King" (that's what happened in the clip, in the game that involved a queen sacrifice ending in mate). As to what country, it might have been more than one. I liked the clip where you see two farm workers walking past with long tools over their shoulders - possible hay pitchforks? Very rural Edwardian. But right at the end, the old woman and old man have a more European feel to them.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Yes, the Rook was moved before the King.
Eastern Europe I would guess but not Russia as they are not using Russian pieces.
I like the way the chessboards have handles to make them portable.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Something about the look of the place and the people suggests "Germany" to me. This would have been filmed while the German Empire still held sway over large parts of what is now Poland, and could account for any Eastern European feel.

There's a St George set in use in the early part of the clip, which also indicates Germany. The design wasn't exclusive to England. According to the Chess Museum site - here - it was also manufactured in Germany and France.

The game filmed in close-up and finishing around the 3-minute mark - obviously staged for the camera - is Anderssen-Schallopp, originally played in Berlin in 1864. Recognised it straight away, from having seen it years ago in Bott & Morrison's The Chess Apprentice.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)