Knight's File

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Kevin Thurlow

Knight's File

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:37 pm

I spent some time searching through a pile of papers recently, and stumbled across "Knight's File" number 2, published in January 1981, a 24-page A5 magazine published by Michael Knight (oh that's why it is called...) of Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire. I wondered how long it lasted?

This issue covered the Huebner - Korchnoi Candidates match, with all the games annotated "based on Pachman's notes". This is the match where Korchnoi was leading 4.5-3.5, and Huebner resigned the match after games 9 and 10 had been adjourned. I have a feeling that the unfinished games were not rated, whereas I feel that they should have been scored as wins for Korchnoi.

There is a report on Costa Catalana - Barcelona, won by Keene, Mednis and Tatai. Ray Keene reports and includes a grumble that a Bulletin was not published. He felt that if games are FIDE-rated and title norms possible, that it should be compulsory for the games to be published. A good point.

John Nunn reported on Islington and Shaun Taulbut reported on the 2nd Brighton International (won by Murray Chandler and Jon Speelman).

It is a nice little magazine, and was offered at £12 p.a. or 60 p a copy (for 5 copies or more per month).

Occasionally someone put their heads over the parapet and published an independent magazine, but competing with BCM and Chess was not easy.

David Sedgwick

Re: Knight's File

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:This issue covered the Huebner - Korchnoi Candidates match, with all the games annotated "based on Pachman's notes". This is the match where Korchnoi was leading 4.5-3.5, and Huebner resigned the match after games 9 and 10 had been adjourned. I have a feeling that the unfinished games were not rated, whereas I feel that they should have been scored as wins for Korchnoi.
I recall that B H Wood reported in CHESS that FIDE had made an official ruling that the match score was 4.5-3.5. Wood said that he considered this a strange decision.