A case of chess-blindness?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
MJMcCready

A case of chess-blindness?

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 am

Hi all, does anyone know which move is being referred to here and what the consequences of Karpov's mistake were?
April 30th 1982-crop.jpg
The game referred to can be found below.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1068238
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Truran

Re: A case of chess-blindness?

Post by Mike Truran » Sun May 03, 2015 11:35 am

The move referred to is 40. Nf1. Karpov should have played 40. Ne2. The consequence of Karpov's mistake was the loss of the game.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 03, 2015 11:49 am

Ah okay I thought that was the move in question. So Karpov didn't actually move the knight incorrectly or anything like that, he just blundered? I wasn't sure what was meant by 'wrong square'.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun May 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Interesting. I remember playing Tom Sweby, back in the 60's.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 03, 2015 12:41 pm

Aha, may I pm you about that?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 03, 2015 12:48 pm

MJMcCready wrote:I wasn't sure what was meant by 'wrong square'.
The Knight (on g3) had just been hit by .. h4, so there was an apparent choice of the h1 or f1 squares. However on his previous move Korchnoi had responded to a hit on his queen by retreating it to d5, whereupon Karpov could have played Ne2, which though en prise to a passed pawn on d3 was also pinned to the undefended queen on d5.

So wrong square in the sense of forced move but blunder. You might use the same expression in a number of analytical circumstances.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun May 03, 2015 12:59 pm

MJMcCready wrote:

i would prefer it, if you put it on here. I have great difficulty finding the pm's. I am 84 and this modern technology soon gets the better of me.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:MJMcCready wrote:

i would prefer it, if you put it on here. I have great difficulty finding the pm's. I am 84 and this modern technology soon gets the better of me.
Okay, well in my cheekiness which in truth was more of an attempt to stop the thread going off topic, I sent the pm without your permission, however, I was wondering if you could remember much of the aforementioned game, for example, when, where, and result. At present I am writing a post which incorporates much of Tom Sweby's writings, in fact when I returned home recently I spent about 20 hours with the microfilm on which his old chess column is kept but I have almost no info on his activities in the fifties. I have some info of his political movements within the SCCU and BCF but in terms of his games and play, I have nothing. Being located abroad, I do not have access to things like rating lists, so I don't yet have a rating for him and have to make do with estimations from past friends and opponents. I was hoping to locate one or two of his games but again this is proving to be very difficult indeed.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:I wasn't sure what was meant by 'wrong square'.
The Knight (on g3) had just been hit by .. h4, so there was an apparent choice of the h1 or f1 squares. However on his previous move Korchnoi had responded to a hit on his queen by retreating it to d5, whereupon Karpov could have played Ne2, which though en prise to a passed pawn on d3 was also pinned to the undefended queen on d5.

So wrong square in the sense of forced move but blunder. You might use the same expression in a number of analytical circumstances.
I had visions that Karpov had moved the knight diagonally or something but this was perhaps influenced by a tale in The Complete Chess Addict where Korchnoi once asked an arbiter if he could castle whilst his rook was under attack.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Mon May 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Known as Amaurosis Scacchistica. Frank Marshall was material down against Capablanca in the endgame, but missed a Queen skewer on the long diagonal.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon May 04, 2015 2:04 pm

A phrase that I believe is one of Dr Tarrasch's?

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Mon May 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Amaurosis seems to be a degenerative disease. Since chess blindness is usually only temporary, perhaps caecitas scacchistica is a more accurate description of the condition.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon May 04, 2015 8:50 pm

John Townsend wrote:chess blindness is usually only temporary
Not for some of us! :wink:

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Mon May 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Out of interest, I wonder how unsighted chess players refer to the phenomenon of chess blindness? Do they have a different expression for it?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue May 05, 2015 4:43 am

Clive Blackburn wrote:Out of interest, I wonder how unsighted chess players refer to the phenomenon of chess blindness? Do they have a different expression for it?
Good point.