Doubtful Menchik v Graf games

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Brian Denman

Doubtful Menchik v Graf games

Post by Brian Denman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:09 pm

The enclosed three games between Vera Menchik and Sonja Graf were published in the Mega Database for 2013. I have to admit, however, that I have doubts about their authenticity. Sonja Graf did not take part in the 1930 and 1931 World Women's Championship and Vera Menchik nearly always played the French Defence. I have also had email conversations with Tony Gillam on this subject and between us we have failed to discover a likely occasion on which these games might have been contested. Possibly they were played between Vera Menchik and another lady or Sonja Graf and another lady. I was wondering if anyone could throw any light on these games. Also is there anyone who might have an email address for the producer of the Big Database 2013.

gn][/pgn]
[/pgn]
[/pgn]

David McAlister

Re: Doubtful Menchik v Graf games

Post by David McAlister » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:04 pm

The Hamburg 1930 game is Agnes Stevenson -v- Vera Menchik. I found it in the BCM Classic Reprint of Die Schacholympiade von Hamburg - game 149 at page 147. The confusion presumably arises from Graf's married name. Is it a similar issue with 1931?
Last edited by David McAlister on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:12 pm

David McAlister wrote:The Hamburg 1930 game is Stevenson -v- Menchik.
If that's from a contemporary source, it may help explain the mystery. Miss Graf later became Mrs Stevenson. If someone incorrectly processed a bulk change, a totally independent Stevenson could become Graf.

Brian Denman

Post by Brian Denman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:28 pm

Brilliant discoveries, David and Roger! Agnes Stevenson took part in both the 1930 and 1931 tournaments. The Big Database 2013 includes six Vera Menchik games against the other three contestants in the 1931 event, which makes it extremely likely that the remaining two games in the double round event featured Menchik against Stevenson. I think that you have cracked it, but I would still like to contact the producer of the database, if anyone knows who he is and his email address.

David McAlister

Post by David McAlister » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Yes, that's a contemporary source (or at least a 1973 reprint of a 1931 original). It suddenly dawned on me after posting how the confusion must have arisen, but while I was editing my post, Roger got there before me!

And also Brian confirming 1931! I'll have to work quicker in future!