Who was R. Schwarzschild?

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Brian Valentine

Re: Who was R. Schwarzschild?

Post by Brian Valentine » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:47 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:43 pm
Brian Valentine wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:50 am
When I played my first adult league match, Craddock was the top board for my team.
In the 1939 register, James Marston Craddock is single and working as an assistant principal for the inland revenue. He's living with his parents in Woking. His father is an H.M. inspector of taxes. His mother, however, has a very interesting sounding job - bee expert for the Surrey agricultural committee!

James Craddock seems to have given up chess in the 1970s but he didn't die until 2001.
I was playing for the Met Office where Craddock was very senior. At the time the Met Office was building its early computer forecasts. A Google search brings up several papers he had published. The MO team amalgamated with another company team around 1969 and was soon subsumed into Bracknell Industries. So consistent with Jon's timeline.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:29 am

John Saunders wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:11 pm
Craddock was a strong player but this was not his finest hour.
Nor was this. A well-known miniature, reprinted quite often since then, and cited by RDK in The Article a couple of years ago.

(I'd give the game in full, but Chessgames won't permit copy-and-paste of moves - well, they wouldn't be able to plague you with so many pop-up ads, would they? - and I haven't time to muck around transcribing it.)

The information about Craddock's career path all hangs together. Assistant Principal was the basic entry grade to the Administrative Civil Service in 1939. If you got in there, you were highly likely to progress to "very senior" roles later on. The grade disappeared after the Fulton reforms of the late 60s, when the Administrative, Executive and Clerical branches were merged into a single unified structure.
Last edited by John Clarke on Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:33 am

It's easy enough to click on the PGN option on there.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:35 am

I think Craddock deserves a better example of his standard of play.

Here he beats a strong up-and-coming player.

Daily Mirror - Tuesday 21 April 1931 p.6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:02 am

At the time when Craddock beat Persitz in the above game, the same two players were locked in a struggle in the County Correspondence Championship. Which Craddock also won... from the same newspaper with notes by Tom Sweby...

Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:16 am

Returning to the original topic of this thread, I found the following mate in 3 problem by Robert Schwarzschild in the Kensington News and West London Times, Friday 17 March 1939...

According to the MESON Chess Problem database, Schwarzschild had ten problems published. The above problem was first published in CHESS in 1938, while the other nine referenced on the linked page appeared in German publications.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:53 pm

Hi John,

That is a goodie. You just knew Ng6+ and f8=N+ would be in there in somewhere.
The e5 pawn (why is it there?) suckered me into 1.Qc2 for a while. Then all pawns moves other than c4-c3 allows a mate in one or two moves.
So find the mate in two after c4-c3 being aware c2 is a move wasting check.

1.Qa2 (eventually, I forgot one my solvers tricks. Looking at the longest Queen moves should be one of the first things you do, it's a common theme from problem setters. )

After 1.Qa2 all non-c-pawn moves allow a mate in two. 1...h5 and the Queen going back to h2 is cute. and 1...c3 2.Ng6+ Kh7 3.f8=N mate.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:07 pm

Some great material here on both Craddock and Schwarzschild. That OTB game by Craddock against Persitz has a fascinating period where QRR battles QRR. In the shorter loss to Mieses, the sequence starting 7.Qb3 Rb8 was presumably seen by both players, but evaluated differently - maybe Craddock assumed that recapturing with the queen on f6 was not possible, but should have seen the danger. 12.Qb3 (i.e. only taking one of the two Black rooks) doesn't help in any of the lines, as after 13.Kd1 it is still mate (just a slightly different way) and the alternative of 13.Kf1 still fails regardless of whether the White queen is on h8 or b3.

How active were these players in their school days? Would King Edward's School, Birmingham, for example, have played other schools locally and nationally in the 1920s and 1930s?

Alan McGowan

Post by Alan McGowan » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:00 pm

The problem shown by John Saunders appeared on page 371 of the 14 June 1938 issue of CHESS. However, another of his problems is on page 368 of the same issue (not mentioned in the Meson list). There was an error in the diagram which was commented on in the 14 August issue; the correct diagram was shown, with comments, on page 441.

Another of his problems is in '1234 Modern Chess Endings', by Sutherland and Lommer (1968, I think), but it is missing from '1357 Endgame Studies' (Lommer, 1975).