A question or three about Bobby Fischer.

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Nick Grey

Re: A question or three about Bobby Fischer.

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:04 pm

My 60 Memorable Games is an excellent book. I imagine Larry Evans was paid very well for editing the book. That Bobby took a lot of time before publishing must have made it very interesting for his competitors. We have to thank Bobby for his analysis. There is a lot of the "cold war" & anti-Soviet feeling.

The English Chess explosion would not have happened without those that organised the match for the World Championship v Spassky & its financing.

I cannot recall Bobby being referred to as the American Dream but then again I'm only a youngster that became aware of chess because of the 1972 world chess championship.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:45 am

Ok, well I am sure that in glossier magazines aimed at the general public he was portrayed as such on ocassion, unfortunately, finding examples of that has proven so difficult I think my next maneuver must be to lay the king on its side.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:02 pm

I did find this:

The United States is an illegitimate country, just like Israel. It has no right to exist. That country belongs to the Red man, the American Indian... It's actually a shame to be a so-called American, because everybody living there is a usurper, an invader taking part in this crime, which is to rob the land, rob the country and kill all the American Indians.

Robert James Fischer

Here http://www.azquotes.com/author/4837-Bobby_Fischer
It's the 13th quote down, no source given.