Dr Kurt Meyer/Dr Gerhard (Gerald) Katz

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Alan McGowan

Dr Kurt Meyer/Dr Gerhard (Gerald) Katz

Post by Alan McGowan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:13 pm

I am finalising the manuscript of a book about Kurt Richter (1900-1969).
In a Berlin-Wilmersdorf 1930 tournament he played against Dr Kurt Meyer and Dr Gerhard Katz. Dr Meyer moved to England in 1939 and was apparently a member of West London and Worcester clubs and, latterly, of the Athenaeum CC. Golombek wrote an obituary of Dr Meyer in the September 1965 British Chess Magazine, which included the above information, as well as the comment that Dr Meyer lost his eyesight ten years after his arrival in England.
Dr Katz (1906-1975) immigrated to the USA in 1938 and later used the name Gerald. He played in several US Open tournaments and was Massachusetts State champion on three occasions. After retiring, he moved to England - Willesden, according to Chess, October 1969, p. 41. His name appears in tournament reports into the early 1970s. He died in Brent, Middlesex. I think he may also have been a member of the Athenaeum.
I would appreciate confirmation of the above information, or corrections.
Interestingly, Wolfgang Heidenfeld played in the same Wilmersdorf tournament. I have no shortage of information about him, though I had hoped to obtain more via his son, Mark. Unfortunately, when I last communicated with Mark, his father's personal papers were not conveniently placed to consult.
Thanks.

Gordon Cadden

Re: Dr Kurt Meyer/Dr Gerhard (Gerald) Katz

Post by Gordon Cadden » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pm

I can confirm that Dr Katz played for the Willesden Club in the early 1970's.
Can also confirm that he played for the Athenaeum Club.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:22 pm

I met Dr Gerald Katz at a few tournaments in the early 1970s and played against him in the 1972 BCF Major Open at Brighton (I won). He seemed a very friendly person.

During the seasons 1972/73 to 1975/76 I played for the Athenaeum CC first team and was captain for at least two of those years. This was when the club met on Monday evenings in a large basement room below a cinema off Leicester Square. I think I would recall if Dr Katz was a member of the club at that period, so probably he was only playing for Willesden by then?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:56 am

Tim Harding wrote:I met Dr Gerald Katz at a few tournaments in the early 1970s and played against him in the 1972 BCF Major Open at Brighton (I won). He seemed a very friendly person.

During the seasons 1972/73 to 1975/76 I played for the Athenaeum CC first team and was captain for at least two of those years. This was when the club met on Monday evenings in a large basement room below a cinema off Leicester Square. I think I would recall if Dr Katz was a member of the club at that period, so probably he was only playing for Willesden by then?
Middlesex Chess League. Athenaeum v. Camden 28.02.1972
Played Dr G.Katz who was representing the Athenaeum club. I resigned after 30 moves had been played.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:43 am

I joined Athenaeum CC in September 1972. So you played him the previous season.
Or maybe Katz only played for us in the Middlesex league.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Brent registration district, where Gerald Simon Katz died, included the parish of Willesden. (In fact, it had been called Willesden registration district until 1 April 1965). He died in the June quarter of 1975. His date of birth was entered as 31 March 1906.

The death of a Kurt I. Meyer was registered in the September quarter of 1965 in Surrey South Eastern registration district (vol. 5G, page 324). The age given was 75.

Alan McGowan

Post by Alan McGowan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated.