Richard (Dick) Edward Boxall

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Upham

Richard (Dick) Edward Boxall

Post by John Upham » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm

I am wondering if any Forum members could help?

I'm interesting in determining the history of the 40 minute single day rapid play events run by Dick Boxall at Basingstoke Chess Club.

Does anyone have any kind of photograph / picture of Dick?

Has anyone collated results for any of these events?

Any help would be appreciated. :D

I am aware of http://www.chessarbitersassociation.co. ... _dick.html

John
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Gordon Cadden

Re: Richard (Dick) Edward Boxall

Post by Gordon Cadden » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:25 pm

I took part in many of the one day rapid play events, from 1992, when they were organized by Joe French. Sadly, Joe is no longer with us.
We played in a house which was actually owned by the Basingstoke club. It was a well organized event, with refreshments available in the kitchen.
Very familiar with the name of Richard Boxall, who organised many events in his life.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:I took part in many of the one day rapid play events, from 1992, when they were organized by Joe French. Sadly, Joe is no longer with us.
We played in a house which was actually owned by the Basingstoke club. It was a well organized event, with refreshments available in the kitchen.
Very familiar with the name of Richard Boxall, who organised many events in his life.
Thanks Gordon. The club house is owned by Basingstoke Bridge Club who allow the chess club to use it. One of the very few chess club venues that is dedicated in such a way.

I'm not sure when Dick started the Basingstoke "Quick-Play" events but I recall doing a few in the late 1970s when the car park was gravel.

Anyone with detailed history of these events would be most welcome ! Photos would be super.

Thanks to a legacy from a chess parent the car park was converted from a loose surface to a sealed surface.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't think I can add to what you already know John, but I played in many of the events run by Dick in the early 1980s. Very few players, including me, recorded the moves at that time rate, so I do not have any games on record. I remember one year they ran a kind of grand prix, with the last event shortly before Christmas, and I had my one and only win that year when my opponent, Chris Cooley, offered me a draw after 1 move in the last round, ensuring that he won the overall grand prix, and I won that day's event. The year would have been around 1981. Prizes were, from memory, maybe £25 1st prize for each event, with £100 for the grand prix.
Top players who used to turn up at that time would have been Russell Granat, Chris Cooley, Joe Gallagher, possibly Peter Wells.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks Graham! I recall playing Mike Basman, Andrew Martin, Joe Gallagher amongst others at one of these events.

More memories would be welcome. :D