Liverpool Chess Club Reports 1884 to 1915 published

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
JamesGallagher

Liverpool Chess Club Reports 1884 to 1915 published

Post by JamesGallagher » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:05 pm

I have started to publish the Liverpool Chess club annual reports on the Liverpool Chess club website.

These reports contain much detailed history of the club and many of its famous members and many famous visitors including Steinitz, Blackburne, Zuketort and many many others.

The reports go up to the outbreak of world war 1 when many Liverpool Chess club members join the Armed Forces with some never returning.

Have a look on the club history page:
http://www.liverpoolchessclub.co.uk/history/

Hopefully I will get to publish many more reports very soon

Jim Gallagher
James Gallagher
President of Liverpool Chess Club
07789 924983
www.facebook.com/Liverpoolchessclub/

Tim Harding

Re: Liverpool Chess Club Reports 1884 to 1915 published

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:57 am

Good work. I will read these reports later when I have time. I just sent you a longer message on your contact form.

Briefly, and to save others wasting time by searching, the correct dates of the Liverpool Mercury column were 16 July 1813 to July or August 1813. Many of these short articles can be found in the British Newspaper Archive subscription servic and some on the Chess Archaeology website. The final date is yet to be clarified (due to incomplete holdings at the British Library) but you might try Liverpool Public Library. The final date given in Whyld's "Chess Columns: A List" must be wrong as there was no publication on that date.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com