Out of turn draw offer

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
David Williams

Out of turn draw offer

Post by David Williams » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:28 pm

Something I feel I ought to know. Rules, not etiquette!

I'm aware that a correctly timed draw offer by player A cannot be withdrawn, and remains valid until it is either rejected or player B makes his next move. But what about an incorrectly timed offer?

Player A offers a draw while it is still his move. Would I be correct in thinking that this also cannot be withdrawn and remains valid until player B makes his next move? Player B is impassive, after a while goes to ask his team captain, disappears to the loo. Player A can (indeed probably must) make a move, and the offer remains on the table.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Out of turn draw offer

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:58 pm

Barring edge cases (such as A's next move being checkmate), that's correct, yes.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:12 pm

On the subject of draw offers...

Player A makes a move, offers a draw to Player B and presses the timer.

Player B makes no response and then a flag fall is indicated for B.

Is it correct that B may accept the offered draw?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:32 pm

No. The text of the law in question is as follows (my emphasis):
FIDE Laws of Chess wrote:9.1.2.1    A player wishing to offer a draw shall do so after having made a move on the chessboard and before pressing his/her clock. An offer at any other time during play is still valid but Article 11.5 must be considered. No conditions can be attached to the offer. In both cases the offer cannot be withdrawn and remains valid until the opponent accepts it, rejects it orally, rejects it by touching a piece with the intention of moving or capturing it, or the game is concluded in some other way.
A flag-fall is the game concluding in some other way.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:21 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:32 pm
FIDE Laws of Chess wrote:9.1.2.1    A player wishing to offer a draw shall do so after having made a move on the chessboard and before pressing his/her clock. An offer at any other time during play is still valid but Article 11.5 must be considered. No conditions can be attached to the offer. In both cases the offer cannot be withdrawn and remains valid until the opponent accepts it, rejects it orally, rejects it by touching a piece with the intention of moving or capturing it, or the game is concluded in some other way.

Thanks. I suspect I am thinking of one of those old chess wives tales that never was true in the first place.

Rather like having to move the piece nearest the King if one touched the King and one could not move it legally.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:45 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:32 pm
However, a flag fall is an instance of uncertainty theory: the state of the flag is unknown until observed by one of the players or an arbiter. Thus, if the draw was offered with sporting intent (as in this situation it might well have been), both players can simply close their eyes until formal acceptance has been made. (Hoping that any arbiter is similarly broad minded).