Tournament questions.

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Peter Rhodes

Tournament questions.

Post by Peter Rhodes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 am

I recently took part in the Hastings weekend tournament and this was the first such large event I've played in.

It was very interesting and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to answer these questions.

1) Recording of the moves.
I realise that you have to record each move, but what should you do if you notice that your opponent has fallen behind in his recording (and there is more than 5 mins left of the clock). Is he obliged to correct his scoresheet ? Is he allowed to just put dashes to indicate that moves took place. I saw a few players doing this in order to catch up.

2) Unreadable scoresheets.
If a players recorded moves are clearly unintelligible, does this prevent him from making certain claims (such as repetition of moves) ? Can't the player rely on your scoresheet to make such a claim ?

3) Gamesmanship.
I felt one player was involved in what I considered to be deliberate gamesmanship. His antics included the following
a) Continually uttering his thoughts about the game under his breath - albeit loud enough to attract the attention of other close players.
b) Getting out a book during his opponents move and doing sums in it, wording the calculations on his lips silently.
c) Making light jokes about the position on the board refering to it's complexity or certain peculiarities.

What is considered a disturbance OTB ? How many of these minor borderline disturbances are appropriate before calling the arbiter ? If you are playing next to such a player and it continually disturbs your concentration, but the opponent of the player in question is too polite to make a complaint, what should you do ?
Chess Amateur.

Geoff Chandler

Re: Tournament questions.

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 am

I can help with:

3) Gamesmanship.

See the controller and tell him the player is putting you off and
his behaviour is shocking. They will react on your behalf and warn him.

I also suspect the controller at your event will be disappointed
you never brought it to their attention.

I've played players who mutter under their breath.
That never bothers me.

It's the players who have a picnic at the board that get me.
I ask them to please eat away from the board.
They have always done so.

Don't let this experience put you off tournaments.
Sounds like a one off to me. Most chess players play the board.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:23 am

Hi Peter,

If the player has more than 5 mins left he must record the moves - dashes are not acceptable. If he fails to do so I would suggest politely pointing this out (which usually works - but doesn't always!) failing which you should summon the arbiter. The player will be required to bring his scoresheet up to date before playing on in his own time (ie with his clock running).

An arbiter should always base a claim on both scoresheets (which don't belong to the players btw they belong to the arbiter!). So if one is illegible and the other is clear and a draw claim can be substantiated from one it would be allowed.

If the conduct of anyone (opponent, spectator or other player) is offputting I would mention it to the arbiter who can observe for himself before taking appropriate action.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Not sure what category this comes under, gamesmanship I suppose:

At the Manchester congress last year (in which I only played 2 games - long story) I was playing on the board next to this guy who was clearly loosing the position in his game - his opponent knew he had him so he was playing fast, suddenly the guy stood up and said “I think your trying to blitz me, can I go and get the controller?!” His opponent was so taken aback he offered a draw, suffices it to say the guy bit his hand off and quickly left the playing area.

After the games his opponent whispered to me “It’s the first time I’ve ever offered a draw when I’ve got mate in 3!”

Personally I’d have let him get the controller, he’d have told him to sit down and stop acting like a prat.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker