Can we rely upon our opponent for recording moves?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Gareth Harley-Yeo

Re: Can we rely upon our opponent for recording moves?

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Thu May 27, 2010 10:29 am

Angus French wrote:
John Foley wrote:From the tone of the discussion so far, the more appropriate adverb would be "stupidly".
Oh, I wasn't thinking that but something to the effect of "very very generously".
A mobile phone incident is due to the players own irresponsibility before the game commenced. I'd think the 'sporting brigade' would be less likely to offer in a draw in these respects. I'm pretty sure if Player A's phone went off and Player B offered the draw before the arbiter came over it would be accepted as drawn? Actually now I'm questioning myself. I think we need clarification. :?

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Can we rely upon our opponent for recording moves?

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu May 27, 2010 12:44 pm

"I'm pretty sure if Player A's phone went off and Player B offered the draw before the arbiter came over it would be accepted as drawn? Actually now I'm questioning myself. I think we need clarification."

I would think that as soon as the phone makes a sound the game is over - it would be a bit like playing Qxg7 mate and then offering a draw. But you might get away with it if you acted quickly and said you'd offered the draw and it was accepted before the phone went off...

The trouble with conceding a draw in those situations is that another player might miss out on prize money etc. through your generosity. I don't suppose there's much of a betting market for throwing chess games yet.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey