Does your League still have adjournments?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Does your League still have adjournments?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:I just had a great evening.

Left Uni at 6pm after a lecture. Got fish and chips from the chip shop on Aston Street. Walked to Birmingham Moor Street, ate my dinner, and then caught a train to Tyseley railway station. Admired the GWR decor for a moment. Then walked to the social club for the resumption of my game. Unfortunately, my opponent never made it that far. Under Birmingham League rules, I started his clock, and won on time.

Luckily, a fellow adjourner was playing, so could give me a lift back towards Birmingham City Centre when he finished (won on time; did well to defend an iffy endgame that was probably lost but not easy - a few of us showed him this on Saturday of course...).

A thoroughly enjoyable evening. :roll:

I'd best leave it at that in case there's a dispute.
Love the added notes on the menu and railway decor... :)

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:20 pm

I recall one occasion when we had a 20 minute walk from the station to the playing venue, and my team-mates insisted on a detour to the nearest chip shop en route...

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Michael Jones wrote:I recall one occasion when we had a 20 minute walk from the station to the playing venue, and my team-mates insisted on a detour to the nearest chip shop en route...
I spend too many evenings at chip shops en route to chess matches. :oops:

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Then walked to the social club for the resumption of my game. Unfortunately, my opponent never made it that far. Under Birmingham League rules, I started his clock, and won on time.
That's happened twice to me - once in the West of England Championship, when it had adjournments, where my opponent had a completely lost position and didn't turn up (material was level at the adjournment, but 5 minutes analysis showed he was about to lose a piece); once in a Berkshire League match where I went to my opponent's club to resume the game and he went to my club. :?

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:02 pm

I had an adjournment a few years ago where I turned up at my opponents club and he announced that he was also playing in a match that night but would play me at the same time, which he did (he drew the game from a worse position as it happened). Anyone like to comment on whether that is legal?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:06 pm

It wouldn't be allowed in the Leicestershire league as its rules state that a player can only play in one game per evening - but I can't think of anything in the laws that would prevent it.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:I had an adjournment a few years ago where I turned up at my opponents club and he announced that he was also playing in a match that night but would play me at the same time, which he did (he drew the game from a worse position as it happened). Anyone like to comment on whether that is legal?
In the Bucks league, we made a rule intended to explicitly prevent it. This was after an enterprising match captain arranged matches in his home venue in two separate rooms and commuted between games.

We also stopped a player winning quickly within the default time and then playing as a substitute on another board.
Bucks League wrote:34. No player shall be allowed to play two games, simultaneous or otherwise, in one match This would not preclude a named player, who’s opponent was known to be defaulting, from playing for another of his club’s teams on the same night.
(next meeting, perhaps I should put up an amendment correcting the grammar/spelling)
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:I had an adjournment a few years ago where I turned up at my opponents club and he announced that he was also playing in a match that night but would play me at the same time, which he did (he drew the game from a worse position as it happened). Anyone like to comment on whether that is legal?
I would say illegal. http://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/LawsOfChess.pdf, article 12 and especially 12.1, 12.2, 12.3a, and 12.6!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
I would say illegal. http://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/LawsOfChess.pdf, article 12 and especially 12.1, 12.2, 12.3a, and 12.6!
I wasn't aware that "The player having the move is not allowed to leave the playing area without permission of the arbiter." (Note this is the playing area, not the playing venue). I've sometimes got up to go out of the room to get a drink or some fresh air or go to the toilet, just as my opponent makes a move. I've usually just carried on and then come back to play my move, not realising that I technically had to get the permission of the arbiter!

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:41 pm

From what I gather toilets and refreshment areas are usually defined as the playing area, otherwise in congress of hundreds of players, arbiter would just be shepherding players to the toilet and back

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Alan Walton wrote:From what I gather toilets and refreshment areas are usually defined as the playing area, otherwise in congress of hundreds of players, arbiter would just be shepherding players to the toilet and back
I've played in tournaments where the arbiters did indeed shepherd the players to and from the toilet (or require the players to ask for permission to leave the playing area if the toilets were some distance away). It's not completely unknown for that to happen. One team tournament I played in had a rule that only one player from each team could leave the playing area at the same time.

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 pm

I had a similiar situation some years ago. My opponent was a substitute on my board while simultaneously playing in another match about two metres away. When I looked at his other position he was a rook down in an endgame. He took me to an adjournment in a king and pawn endgame where I had an extra pawn. I decided against ajudication since I expected to play it on fairly soon afterwards and was told that ajudications took a while. It was then postponed several weeks and and I won within half an hour of resuming. It was my only win of a rather disastrous season in which my grade plummeted and only recovered with the arrival of new grades. Interestingly enough, when the return fixture came about a few months later, the opposition captain asked me the result, since his player hadn't reported it to him.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Fortunately over the 25 years of playing chess at all different levels (home and abroad), I have never needed to called the arbiter to have a toilet break

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:54 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: I would say illegal. http://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/LawsOfChess.pdf, article 12 and especially 12.1, 12.2, 12.3a, and 12.6!
I don't see how 12.1, 12.2, 12.3a, or 12.6 prevent this (although I did assume that the two games would be taking place in the same room, otherwise 12.2 would indeed apply). I think this is why leagues such as Leics and Berks, which of course play to the FIDE laws, feel the need to specify that such actions are not allowed.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote: I would say illegal. http://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/LawsOfChess.pdf, article 12 and especially 12.1, 12.2, 12.3a, and 12.6!
I don't see how 12.1, 12.2, 12.3a, or 12.6 prevent this (although I did assume that the two games would be taking place in the same room, otherwise 12.2 would indeed apply). I think this is why leagues such as Leics and Berks, which of course play to the FIDE laws, feel the need to specify that such actions are not allowed.
Well, I think if someone tried to enter two sections simultaneously at e2e4 I hope that you would stop them, on the grounds that it either brings the game into disrepute, or the fact that you are not allowed to analyse on another board. I think either would cover it!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!