Visualisation

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Visualisation

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Steve.

Finding that 3.Qe3 in you mind at the start is the biter.

I also mess about with these things after I've solved them.
Remove the g6 pawn. Does the given line still work. Is there another way to win.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:26 pm

From Assiac's The Delights of Chess, p200, referring to Emanuel Lasker's love of endgame studies, and what he did on coming across one that was new to him:

"He would put them up on the board, but never touch a piece until he had solved the study in all its variations. He considered it a most stimulating mental exercise." (My italics.)

If it was good enough for Manny ....
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Could someone define what is meant by "visualisation" ?

Although often stated, is there any evidence that visualisation leads to stronger play ?

What could be the cognitive mechanisms ?

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Visualisation refers entirely to seeing. To begin calculating/evaluating a position, you must first be able to see it clearly.

I greatly enjoyed 'Improve Your Chess Now' by Tisdall and his 'stepping stone' technique. Recently Yang-fan spoke about using this method when reaching a branching point in calculation. How I spend most of my time during games is reaching what I believe to be a critical position that I must calculate correctly..then repeatedly reconstructing the 'stepping-stone' position because the pieces on the board blend into my calculations because I am using the board to aid visualisation. I asked Yang-fan how he burnt the position that he needs to calculate from into his minds eye, and he didn't seem to have an answer, although he did say that he also uses the board. I guess this just comes down to genetic ability/talent.