Adjournments in tablebase endgames

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: Adjournments in tablebase endgames

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:54 pm

And a few other oddities (K v K + 4B, where the bishops are all white-squared or all black-squared).

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:01 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:My question, then, and I hope no-one really tries to answer this, is how many 5 pieces vs one endgames are drawn?
I think it is only the following endings which are generally drawn (as opposed to specific positions in other endings, of which there must be millions), but await someone proving me wrong:
  • K + 4 Bs v K where all Bs are on the same coloured squares.

K + 3 Bs + RP v K where all the Bs are the wrong colour for the queening square and the defending K can control the queening square.

K + 2 Bs + 2 RPs v K where all the RPs are all on the same file, both Bs are the wrong colour for the queening square and the defending K can control the queening square.

K + B + 3 RPs v K where all the RPs are all on the same file, the B is the wrong colour for the queening square and the defending K can control the queening square.

K + 4 RPs v K where all the RPs are all on the same file and the defending K can control the queening square.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks Jack and Ian. Re-reading my post, I see it was four years ago, not three, and I still find it intriguing that that rook endgame is drawn. I should have posted the critical line with the Black king on g1, as I can't remember that.