Queen and pawn endgames

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Christopher Kreuzer

Queen and pawn endgames

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Some endgames seem to be like buses. You don't play a particular one for ages, and then a whole load come along all at once. In my case, I'm suffering a glut of Q+P endgames. I thought I knew how to play these, but it turns out I'm not playing them as accurately as I could. Does anyone know of any books, book chapters, or online articles that give advice on these endgames? Not just the tablebase endgames with a few or a single pawn, but ones with several pawns on either side.

John Upham

Re: Queen and pawn endgames

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Some endgames seem to be like buses. You don't play a particular one for ages, and then a whole load come along all at once. In my case, I'm suffering a glut of Q+P endgames. I thought I knew how to play these, but it turns out I'm not playing them as accurately as I could. Does anyone know of any books, book chapters, or online articles that give advice on these endgames? Not just the tablebase endgames with a few or a single pawn, but ones with several pawns on either side.
Suggest you look at http://trainers.fide.com/images/stories ... ciples.pdf
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi Chris There was also a Batsford book dedicated to Queen and Pawn endings . I am going back some 25 years mind but you might be able to pick up a copy second hand. I did have a copy but it probably went out with the rubbish.

Spent ages looking at them and didn’t get a queen/pawn ending for about five years. I think the book was called Queen and Pawn Endings.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Paul Robson wrote:I think the book was called Queen and Pawn Endings.
See http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... s&x=17&y=9
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Some endgames seem to be like buses. You don't play a particular one for ages, and then a whole load come along all at once. In my case, I'm suffering a glut of Q+P endgames. I thought I knew how to play these, but it turns out I'm not playing them as accurately as I could. Does anyone know of any books, book chapters, or online articles that give advice on these endgames? Not just the tablebase endgames with a few or a single pawn, but ones with several pawns on either side.
Tying this into your other thread about adjournments; is your adjournment a queen and pawn ending? :wink:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Tying this into your other thread about adjournments; is your adjournment a queen and pawn ending? :wink:
No, that one is a R+P endgame. This is a different adjournment. I will have to try not to confuse them...

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:04 am

The one published by Batsford was probably the one by Averbakh. It was republished by Pergamon as one of the five volumes of Comprehensive Chess Endings. The set is difficult to acquire now but Convekta did release a CD/DVD with the contents some years back.