Opponent Made An Illegal Move In A League Game

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Opponent Made An Illegal Move In A League Game

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: Well keep it in your pocket then?

If you need an alarm clock to wake up for an 11am start, and it goes off during the game (which means you set it to go off after 11am - the start time of the game), then in my opinion, you deserve all the wrath from the arbiters that is about to come your way. :wink:
Sometimes round times change:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 932#p40932

It seems simpler to notify your opponent that you are going to switch off your phone and warn him that it will make a noise (or say you are going to go outside the playing area and turn it off). If he tries to claim a win in tournaments where the default is automatic, make obscure references to the J'adoube rule.

Alex Holowczak

Re: Opponent Made An Illegal Move In A League Game

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: Well keep it in your pocket then?

If you need an alarm clock to wake up for an 11am start, and it goes off during the game (which means you set it to go off after 11am - the start time of the game), then in my opinion, you deserve all the wrath from the arbiters that is about to come your way. :wink:
Sometimes round times change:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 932#p40932

It seems simpler to notify your opponent that you are going to switch off your phone and warn him that it will make a noise (or say you are going to go outside the playing area and turn it off). If he tries to claim a win in tournaments where the default is automatic, make obscure references to the J'adoube rule.
Do you really need an alarm to remind you that it's lunchtime? I don't think I've ever forgotten to eat lunch because I never had an alarm to remind me. :?

If round times change, then I'd have thought you would be wise enough to change your alarm time, or turn it off. Maybe I'm expecting too much?