Queens Gambit Accepted?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
PeterTurland

Re: Queens Gambit Accepted?

Post by PeterTurland » Thu May 19, 2011 1:51 pm

John Upham wrote:
PeterTurland wrote: If you are fairly sure someone is going to play QG against you, try the Budapest gambit.

It mucks up whites normal plans and nearly always you can win the pawn back.
and if White plays 2. Nf3 and then 3. c4 how would this work?

Many people play the QG via a 1. d4 2. Nf3 3. c4 move order to avoid the various e5 tries although this won't stop the hardened Englund Gambit fan!
Yeah Hebden does that, but the point is most people don't, so the Budapest has a surprise element.

When my mate used to play it against me, I used to call it the Bloody pest gambit lol.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 19, 2011 2:46 pm

PeterTurland wrote: Yeah Hebden does that, but the point is most people don't, so the Budapest has a surprise element.
Checking my database of British games ( 4NCL, Hastings, British Championship etc.) showed that about two thirds of games starting (1 d4 Nf6 2 c4/Nf3) used 2 c4 against one third with Nf3. So the Nf3 approach is common. With Black, I have to try to figure whether they are intending to continue with 3 Bg5/Bf4/e3/Nc3 or 3 c4 because that can affect whether I want to play 2 .. g6 or not. About 3% of the games starting 1 d4 2 c4 featured the Budapest.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri May 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:I’ve seen a lot of 120 and below players respond 3.e3 to the QGA - either just not knowing what to do and/or hoping for the famous piece winning trap if black goes 3… b5 - but against 3.e3 black can just go 3…e5 with a wonderful game immediately.
GM Raymond Dennis Keene recommended 3. e3 against the QGA in a tape he did for Mike Basman's Audio Chess series 30 years ago. More recently Boris Avrukh recommends in his book for Quality Chess

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/ ... is_avrukh/

One man's meat and all that (Raymondo suggests 3. ... e5 is the best reply you may be interested to know).

Of course, if you play Nf3 before c2-c4 (as per comments above) you can't do this. Talking of the Budapest, as people were, has there been a top level encounter with this defence since Short tried it against Karpov in their Candidates' match back in '92?

J

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sat May 21, 2011 11:00 am

Talking of the Budapest, as people were, has there been a top level encounter with this defence since Short tried it against Karpov in their Candidates' match back in '92?
Mamedyarov used to play it. e.g. here against Kramnik in 2008: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1487852

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat May 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Talking of the Budapest, as people were, has there been a top level encounter with this defence since Short tried it against Karpov in their Candidates' match back in '92?
Mamedyarov used to play it. e.g. here against Kramnik in 2008: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1487852
Ah interesting. Vlad himself punted the Budapest in his youth. How often, I'm not sure. Do you know if this game was a rapid or blindfold?

Going back to QGA and the classic trap mentioned above ...

I never normally get to play it because I've usually already got my knight on f3 but by curious coincidence I happened to get it on the board against a beginning junior player at a local library chess club this afternoon.

1 d4 d5, 2 c4 dxc4, 3 e3 b5, 4 a4 c6, 5 axb5 cxb5, 6 Qf3

which dates back to Greco I believe.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sat May 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Ah interesting. Vlad himself punted the Budapest in his youth. How often, I'm not sure. Do you know if this game was a rapid or blindfold?
It was their rapid game from round 3. See http://www.chess.gr/tourn/2008/Amber08/index.html

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed May 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:I’ve seen a lot of 120 and below players respond 3.e3 to the QGA - either just not knowing what to do and/or hoping for the famous piece winning trap if black goes 3… b5 - but against 3.e3 black can just go 3…e5 with a wonderful game immediately.
GM Raymond Dennis Keene recommended 3. e3 against the QGA in a tape he did for Mike Basman's Audio Chess series 30 years ago. More recently Boris Avrukh recommends in his book for Quality Chess

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/ ... is_avrukh/

One man's meat and all that (Raymondo suggests 3. ... e5 is the best reply you may be interested to know).

Of course, if you play Nf3 before c2-c4 (as per comments above) you can't do this. Talking of the Budapest, as people were, has there been a top level encounter with this defence since Short tried it against Karpov in their Candidates' match back in '92?

J

There's no defence to that - Raymondo and Boris are GM's and I'm not :D Mr Rizzitano disagrees with them though.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker