Allowing exchange of Dragon bishop

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Paul Orton

Allowing exchange of Dragon bishop

Post by Paul Orton » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:53 am

When white attempts to exchange black bishops in Dragon type positions (via Qd2 and Bh6) is it considered generally reasonable for Black to pre-empt this with Re8 so that Bh6 can be met with Bh8?

Gavin Strachan

Re: Allowing exchange of Dragon bishop

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 am

Yes. RFC8 I think is slightly more common with threat on sac rook for knight

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

Paul Orton wrote:When white attempts to exchange black bishops in Dragon type positions (via Qd2 and Bh6) is it considered generally reasonable for Black to pre-empt this with Re8 so that Bh6 can be met with Bh8?
Carlsen seems to think so, this idea pops up in recent games.

It's not an easy life, Black has to be on guard for the fairly obvious trick of white playing h5 as a potential pawn sacrifice, then if Nxh5, Rxh5 wins a piece because of .. gxh5 Qg5 mate.

I would find it difficult to recommend playing the Dragon unless you are willing and able to put in a lot of preparation. I've never really been sure whether the fairly automatic attack (open the h-file, sac, sac, mate was RJF's suggestion) is winning but to play Black you need to know some methods either of fending off the attack or getting Black's attack in first. The idea of Rfe8 and Bh8 is directed at fending off the attack, whilst Qa5 and Rfc8 is directed at getting Black's play going.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I would find it difficult to recommend playing the Dragon unless you are willing and able to put in a lot of preparation.
As with most openings, it depends a lot on your temperament and whether you like the double-edged middle games that result. Despite the risks, the Dragon features quite a bit at highest level and was seen at the London Classic and found some supporters amongst the commentary team as well.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Also, the Simagin-devised exchange sacrifice - keeping the rook on f8 and still playing Bh8!? - is not unknown.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Carlsen seems to think so, this idea pops up in recent games.

It's not an easy life, Black has to be on guard for the fairly obvious trick of white playing h5 as a potential pawn sacrifice, then if Nxh5, Rxh5 wins a piece because of .. gxh5 Qg5 mate.
Carlsen could win with 1. B4 against most people. Sometimes I think just because a top GM plays a particular variation or opening especially against someone a lot weaker in grade does not make it an ok variation. Judit P played BC4 variation of Kings Gambit v Topolov, now that is pretty tough to play, but at her level even v top players she can kind of get away with it. Obviously it was used succesfully as a surprise weopon which is usally the case with many of these sharp openings.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote: Carlsen could win with 1. B4 against most people. Sometimes I think just because a top GM plays a particular variation or opening especially against someone a lot weaker in grade does not make it an ok variation.
Perhaps not to be recommended to the average player, but it does give some assurance that it doesn't lose by force. Ok playing the North Sea against Adams is a possible counter-example, but Carlsen believes he went wrong later rather than at move 2.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Completely Off Topic:
Welcome Paul. I still use J'adoube and find it great! (I was [email protected])

Paul Orton

Post by Paul Orton » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:Completely Off Topic:
Welcome Paul. I still use J'adoube and find it great! (I was [email protected])
Well, thank you, Neill - that's made my day!