Grading after first Fide tournament?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: Grading after first Fide tournament?

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:46 pm

James Byrne wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:I think for CM and FM you not only need to exceed 2200 and 2300 respectively, but also to have played something like 30 games, but I am too idle to look it up.
Kevin,

FIDE dropped the 30 game rule a few years ago, I only assume they did this to get more money out of us, a bit like when they introduced the CM title, fortunately I got this on the cheap when it was introduced about 8 years ago (it only cost me £20)

I wouldn't recommend anybody applying for the CM title today, it gives you no benefits for reduced entry and it doesn't even account for title norms, though WFM does and these people are normally well over 100 points lower rated
So just to check, an ungraded player can become a FM if they achieve a rating performance of 2300 or higher in a tournament? I think someone said that they need to have played 7 games as well.
(a) 9 games.
(b) The rating they would gain from the tournament needs to be at least 2300; this is not the same as their TPR for percentage scores of over 50% against rated opposition.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Alan Walton wrote: No you have to have a published rating above 2300
That requirement's been changed now. A rating over 2300 in the middle of a tournament now counts (which is how Charlie Storey, for example, got his FM title without ever having had a 2300 rating).

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:58 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Alan Walton wrote: No you have to have a published rating above 2300
That requirement's been changed now. A rating over 2300 in the middle of a tournament now counts (which is how Charlie Storey, for example, got his FM title without ever having had a 2300 rating).
I actually knew that, and for some reason I didn't mention it :oops: