Breaking rule 8.1

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
David Grobler

Breaking rule 8.1

Post by David Grobler » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:22 pm

Sorry if this is answered somewhere...Ive tried looking...
Sheffield League time control = 30 moves in 60 mins . After 30 moves played ...additional 15 mins to finish .
Last night our board 1 got down to final 5 minutes clock time...and stopped re cording moves .In my humble opinion , he had the worst of the position (pawn down in a rook ending) . His oppenent had maybe 20 minutes re maining....and he also stopped recording moves . There are no arbiters present , and both Captains are playing on other boards (and probably have no idea of the FIDE rule anyway !)
So...moves getting bashed out ...and eventually our board 1 loses a couple more pawns...and resigns . At least 30 moves were made whilst no moves were recorded .
What penalty (if any ) should the opposing player suffer ?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Breaking rule 8.1

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:48 pm

David Grobler wrote: What penalty (if any ) should the opposing player suffer ?
With the game over, I would imagine it was too late. You could blacken his reputation as a man of sharp practice and a rule breaker.

The rules as written require a player to keep score. As a concession, you can stop scoring with less than five minutes on your own clock. Be warned that attempts to enforce this rule can lead to serious bad feeling. I think stopping the clocks of both the board in question and the match captains would be necessary. As a match captain, I wouldn't immediately intervene if I saw a player on my team doing this. I would however support the opposing player if he pointed it out.

Every so often players have to be reminded that they have to keep scoring until five minutes remain and they cannot claim a draw should the circumstances permit until two minutes remain. I've seen players with a completely drawn opposite bishop ending carrying on playing. You have to tell them the game cannot be halted under 10.2 until the clock shows 2 minutes to go. I'm thinking of positions where a player is trying to make progress by marching a king round the board, but no progress is possible in the event of minimally competent defence.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:53 pm

The answer now is that nothing can or should be done. The game is over and that is that.

Had your board 1 pointed it out at the time then the opposing player would have had been penalised by the award of two extra minutes thinking time to his opponent (ie your man gets 2 minutes extra) [note : this is actually at the discretion of the arbiter but it seems standard to apply when no arbiter is present to exercise the discretion ] plus the opposing player would have to bring his scoresheet up to date whilst his own clock is running.

Hope that helps.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:The answer now is that nothing can or should be done. The game is over and that is that.
Really?

The facts may be in dispute, but if they're not I don't see why the offender can't be warned about his future conduct.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:43 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:The answer now is that nothing can or should be done. The game is over and that is that.
Really?

The facts may be in dispute, but if they're not I don't see why the offender can't be warned about his future conduct.
The question was "What penalty can be applied now." I think the answer to that is none. I guess some may consider a warning to be a penalty though I do not.