Concentration

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Concentration

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:11 am

Warren Kingston wrote: What I am asking is, Fritz, says 14. c5 queen moves, then Ne5 then bxa6 with a win. How did I miss it???? .
One of the winning ideas is to deliver mate down the b file with Qb3 and Rb1. Perhaps you have to spot that Rb1 is playable as an exchange sacrifice. In other words you have to put a piece en prise as part of the plan.

AustinElliott

Re: Concentration

Post by AustinElliott » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 am

Perhaps you missed that he would take the pawn back with the Queen? I have a theory that lateral Queen moves are surprisingly easy to overlook, though that may just be me. Or perhaps you had been thinking about variations where the Queen was on d7 when you took on a6. Or perhaps you got 'fixated' with the idea that he would take back with the Knight on a6 since it had retreated to b8 'covering' a6.

I had a bit of a mental "oops - bugger - it's on THAT square' moment in a league game last week when I was getting a bit short of time. I had been calculating what I would do if my opponent moved his Queen from c8 to c7 to attack a pawn of mine on a5, and had come up with a nifty tactic (I thought...) involving a central pawn push from e4 to to e5 and then on to e6. This would force him to take with his f-pawn, badly messing up his K-side pawns and giving me counter-attacking chances. Unfortunately the Queen went to c6 instead.... whereupon I played my same e5 push and then realised (too late) that my e6 pawn sac now didn't work as he could now take it 'sideways' with his Queen (on c6, not c7, of course) instead of with his f-pawn. Whoops.