Korchnoi's best games collection

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Niall Doran

Korchnoi's best games collection

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 am

I've recently spotted that Korchnoi's 'best games with white' and 'best games with black' have come out as one volume for under £20. Strangely enough there didn't seem to be much publicity about it.
Has anyone here read either or both of the White and Black books, and what did you think of them? How analysis-laden are they? Being honest, as a 1600-rated player, I'm not going to read something that has half a page of analysis for every move.
Do you think it would make a good Christmas present for a French-playing 37 year-old? :mrgreen:

James Pratt

Re: Korchnoi's best games collection

Post by James Pratt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 am

They are advanced. 'Chess is My Life' has autobiography and politics laced with paranoia and is published by OLMS, as are the two you mention. I would recommend something more straightforward, particularly for a 37-year-old. A difficult age. :|

I may be wrong but Korchnoi has probably played more than any other player ever. Thus his games are everywhere!

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 am

Ok, I'll wait till I'm all growed up!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 pm

IIRC there weren't too many games in the French in the original 'Black games' volume. That was why I didn't buy it anyway.

Almost certainly the books are 'too advanced' for a 1600 - don't feel too bad about it. They're probably too advanced for me as well. Doesn't mean you can't get something out of it.

If you're interested in Korchnoi you might want to consider his DVD set. I wouldn't normally suggest a CHessbase DVD purchase because they seem to be expensive for what you get, but he's an engaging speaker and you get a lot of his personal history along with the games.

Malc's Chess Emporium were offering a 'buy them both get a discount' offer. Don't know if they still are.

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:IIRC there weren't too many games in the French in the original 'Black games' volume. That was why I didn't buy it anyway.

Almost certainly the books are 'too advanced' for a 1600 - don't feel too bad about it. They're probably too advanced for me as well. Doesn't mean you can't get something out of it.

If you're interested in Korchnoi you might want to consider his DVD set. I wouldn't normally suggest a CHessbase DVD purchase because they seem to be expensive for what you get, but he's an engaging speaker and you get a lot of his personal history along with the games.
Not specifically interested in Korchnoi, but thought it might be interesting to have a games collection with a lot of French games. But as apparently that's not the case, and the books are 'too advanced', I'll give this a miss. No point struggling, considering the little study time I have, with a book that's over my head.
I'll just have to wait for a French Excange games collection to come out! :lol:

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Niall Doran wrote: I'll just have to wait for a French Excange games collection to come out! :lol:
between you and I, 'somebody' is working on such a text at this very moment.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:39 pm

If you don't already have it, then the CB DVD(s) of Kortchnoi's games are great.

Seirawann also does a great job - they both manage to portray their sheer unthusiaism and love for the game

Very suitable Xmas prezzies for a 37 yr-old in my opinion

Paul

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:02 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Niall Doran wrote: I'll just have to wait for a French Excange games collection to come out! :lol:
between you and I, 'somebody' is working on such a text at this very moment.
Then I wish 'them' good luck in their project!