Adopt A Hero

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Dan O'Dowd

Adopt A Hero

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Okay, having met absolute ignorance in the face of a blindingly simple question on another site, I thought I'd try here, where people are intelligent and thoughtful. I won't say any more lest I boil my own head. :/

Many of you will have heard of the concept of adopt a hero, where you improve your play (or try to) by going through games of a master/world champion, playing guess the move, whatever therein you find best.

But what is the best way to pick such a player? Should you go with who you most admire, or whose style you most want to emulate? Or some other factor?

AustinElliott

Re: Adopt A Hero

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:26 pm

I recall this advice back in the 70s as a way of choosing an opening repertoire - copy/follow the leading player of your choice.

I think it was usually intimated that you should pick a player whose style (and thus repertoire) would be in some way a 'match' to yours. Of course, it may be that players whose play you 'get' (and thus whose games you admire) are naturally those with whose style you feel an affinity.

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 pm

So it might be best to sample a few prominent player's best or most stylistically appealing games to get a flavour? I suppose it makes it harder when you're transforming as a player as well. Perhaps I should look at my best played games and those which show how I typically play, and try to find a match?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:11 pm

Easy question! My Great Predecessors by Gary Kasparov. It comes with a lot of hype, but is still a brilliant introduction to the great players.

Soviet coaches are fond of writing that you must know the classics. I also think it is an excellent way of improving.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Interesting question. I often used to find it useful to look at the games of particular players, and it would often be players who I had a similar opening repertiore to, although not necessarily. This need not be limited to top players (ie world eilte), and you could probably find some British players (no offence) whose games you can relate to - these games are readily available from TWIC, 4NCL, British Championship, etc. Interestingly, players with the same opening repertoire do not necessarily have the same playing style.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:45 pm

openings, openings, openings... :D

A man asks about improving, we all know where he should start don't we? :)