Spanish Counter Gambit

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Reg Clucas

Spanish Counter Gambit

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I have been playing the Ruy Lopez for many years, but had never heard of this gambit until last night, when it was played against me. To the uninitiated (which included me until very recently) it begins by Black playing 3...d5?! The first few moves of my game were as follows -

I eventually won with the extra pawn, but not before coming under some pressure and I feel that I probably missed a stronger continuation, and that my opponent didn't make things as difficult for me in the opening as he could have. However I feel the move 3...d5 must be just plain bad - do others share this view? I can't find any examples of it in master play. I suppose its main value must be surprise - which worked to some extent as I took about an hour over the moves above, leaving me about 15 minutes to get to move 36!

Mike Truran

Re: Spanish Counter Gambit

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:42 pm

There was a big article on it many years back in CHESS by (I think) Otto Hardy. I believe it's not (quite) as bad as it looks.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 am

I've seen it tried before in blitz, can't remember where. There was even a book published on the slightly more reputable (but still dubious)

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Bc5 4. c3 d5 ?!

In your game I guess I'd prefer 7.d4 to 0-0 as it keeps the initiative more easily.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 am

I think that 4 Nxe5 pretty much busts it. As James says above, a slightly delayed d5 is a bit less outrageous :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)