Defaults

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Warren Kingston

Defaults

Post by Warren Kingston » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:15 pm

If in a tournament the draw has been made and one player then defaults that game, does his opponent get the point or can the arbiter change the players about? Also the player that defaulted, doesnt play in that round can he then come back in to the tournament in the next round?

Hope this makes sense?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Defaults

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:47 pm

The simplest answer is "it depends upon the tournament". Some tournaments have rules allowing re-pairing, others have rules not allowing it. Similarly, some organizers will let people play in later rounds having defaulted earlier rounds, others won't.

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks Jack.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:02 pm

To add to what Jack wrote with a specific example or two:

For the British Blitz Championship I'm organising, if you default, the opponent wins automatically. There would be no repairing.

On the other hand, for the Warwickshire Championship, if you default the game, then you will be repaired at the default time if someone is available for you to play.

The important thing, however, is that the organiser lets it be known to the players (via the entry form, tournament website) what the procedures are, so that no one is caught out with something they didn't expect. One of my Polish friends from University was very unhappy when he was repaired in the Birmingham Rapidplay one year, because the practice isn't usual in Poland. He had no argument though, because the repairing process was written on the entry form. So he had a choice: Accept the repairing or default the game. Of course, when faced with that choice, he played the game, and won.

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:29 pm

Cheers Alex.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:31 pm

I love the idea of "repairing" players during the course of a tournament.... I often feel that I need to be repaired after a few tough games :lol:

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:53 pm

In FIDE rated events, and certainly those where norms are available, re-pairing should only be done if both players are agreeable. A bye who had 'to be arranged' on the posted pairing would be expected to play a suitable player.

In a normal weekend congress I would expect re-pairing to take place as most players want a game.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:I love the idea of "repairing" players during the course of a tournament.... I often feel that I need to be repaired after a few tough games :lol:
:lol: