Systematic Study Technique

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Andrew Collins

Systematic Study Technique

Post by Andrew Collins » Wed May 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Over the last 12 months or so I've been Systematically studying the endgame, I feel my method has been paying dividends in terms of my improvement. My January grade is a modest 128, my July grade will currently be around 160 based on 48 games. An improvement in a large part that I put down to my relative endgame strength. I have of course been studying other aspects but not in the same Systematic way, or putting as much work in to it.

So I wanted to ask for comments and tips, on different approaches of Systematic Study of the openings and of middle game (Positional play)
For instance what is the correct balance between learning theory and general ideas of particular openings? What approaches do people take when reading an opening book? What methods can be used to gain better positional understanding?

Like I said I have been studying these areas but don't feel like I have a good approach just yet

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as I likely won't be playing any more congresses until July, I hope to spend a significant amount of time attempting to bring my opening play and middle game play up to the same standard as my endgame play, which in turn I hope will bring my Grade up over time. Since I began playing in July 2011 I always thought it would be a really nice target to get to a grade of 170 and a great achievement, its strange but now that I'm likely to achieve a grade of 160 in July, 170 doesn't seem so far away and I've decided to up my overall ambitions somewhat.

Johnathan Rothwell

Re: Systematic Study Technique

Post by Johnathan Rothwell » Wed May 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi,

I feel I am unqualified to answer your question, but I found it interesting so I will give my opinion anyway.

I believe one way to go about it would be to work with what many authors call Tabyias, this, as you probably know, is a standard position from which main lines deviate. Followed up with the study of master games within each variation, ideally in chronological order to help you understand why the great masters deviated when they did. If the games are well annotated they would hopefully teach you something about the recurring pawn structures and important strategies within each variation.

I think it would be useful to:
1. Read a general book on the opening you are interested in.
2. Play a hundred or so blitz games to get a feel for the opening.
3. Decide on particular variations within the opening, and get a more detailed book on those variations.
4. Study a number of master games in that variation.
5. Play some training games against a computer from a 'tabyia', or against some of your fellow club members (at an appropiate time control).
6. Study those games, and work on any areas you struggle with.
7. Introduce into your 'real' tournament games.

By the way, could you share your system for studying endgames?
Thanks,
Johnathan.

Andrew Collins

Re: Systematic Study Technique

Post by Andrew Collins » Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi

Thanks for the comments, seems to make good sense.

I haven't had any 'special' system for studying the endgame, but I will tell you what I've been doing.

Firstly I have several books that I have been working through various topics, my favourite is dvoretsky's endgame manual

Next I regularly practice endgame drills, with an increasing list as I find new things, against my computer with tablebases. I practice on a reasonable time limit, also 1min+1s to replicate winning/defending under time pressure, of course there is no way to replicate the actual pressure of the situation! I further practice playing certain positions 'blind' which reinforces my understanding and vision. I do this with my chess program by making the pieces invisible, hiding the notation and setting the computer to speak the moves aloud.

I try and apply what I've learnt to my own games, followed by extensive analysis of any interesting endgames I play. I look through interesting GM endgames, linking positions that I've worked through to my understanding of what is happening in their positions

I also input what I read and work through in to my training database for quick reference too, or to refresh my memory of certain things.

What I've discovered from my drills is that its best to try and change the position as much as possible whilst working on the same theme, because in a game your never likely to be in an optimum or otherwise position all the time. But it does help when simplifying to positions that you know to be winning.