Bird's Opening

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Nick Burrows

Re: Bird's Opening

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:08 am

Lasker Vs Bauer 1889

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 am

Bauer should have resigned sooner !

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 am

MJMcCready wrote: It's not often you see someone of Petrosian's calibre being so outplayed, and that came from Larsen duping him into the wrong set-up at the end of the opening.
Didn't Fischer usually only play the Birds by transposition from 1 b3? The only game I find with 1.f4 is his Blitz game against Smyslov from 1970 in Yugoslavia.

In the Petrosian game, Black's setup looks Ok as the sort of thing stuff played as an anti-Dutch. A "where did it go wrong" review using an engine suggests it was in the middle game where lashing out with 22. .. b5 was a bit dubious and 22. .. e5 the preferred choice.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
MJMcCready wrote: It's not often you see someone of Petrosian's calibre being so outplayed, and that came from Larsen duping him into the wrong set-up at the end of the opening.
Didn't Fischer usually only play the Birds by transposition from 1 b3? The only game I find with 1.f4 is his Blitz game against Smyslov from 1970 in Yugoslavia.

In the Petrosian game, Black's setup looks Ok as the sort of thing stuff played as an anti-Dutch. A "where did it go wrong" review using an engine suggests it was in the middle game where lashing out with 22. .. b5 was a bit dubious and 22. .. e5 the preferred choice.

I don't have the literature with me, but from what I recall the main criticism was that Petrosian didn't know where to put his minor peices. Certainly b5 was dubious, giving white Ra6 of course.

I think you're right about Fischer, I did see one or two games with a Bird's set up but now that I think about it, one of them was via b3.