What sort of reputation does 2 Ne2 in the Caro-Kann have?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
MJMcCready

What sort of reputation does 2 Ne2 in the Caro-Kann have?

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Does anyone who plays the Caro-Kann fear 2Ne2? I've seen some explosive games at GM level, and having played the French myself, I feel familiar with some of the lines. But as is always the case, those trying to sell or promote a given variation often emit the critical tests of it.

The main advantage it seems to have is that it pulls Caro-Kann out of more familiar setups, as after 1 e4 c6, 2 Ne2 d5, 3 e5 a main reponse here for black is c5, but I'm sure at club level those who play the Caro-Kann won't want to then push their beloved c-pawn on again, and choose something more passive instead.

MartinCarpenter

Re: What sort of reputation does 2 Ne2 in the Caro-Kann have

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 am

Think (hope anyway!) most caro players, even at club level, are used to the idea of going c5 once white goes e5.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:16 pm

I think Nigel Short played a few games in this line, I seem to remember watching them on his greatest hits DVD’s - from what I remember the c-pawn was pushed again by black and the position ended up looking like a French advanced :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:48 pm

The following exciting game won the prize for 'game of the round' at Liverpool 2008.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:33 pm

lol, I think we've all been following Andrew Martin on line haven't we? Aside from these great games it would be nice to hear from Caro-Kann players if they find the line troubling. At club level I've often noticed that variations that are untypical for the opening often cause problems even though they are not necessarily the soundest. Anyone who's played the Kopec system with white against the Sicilian will know what I mean.